HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV118378
Name:The Mary Tavy Inn, Mary Tavy

Summary

Thought to originally have been three cottages dating to the 16th century, this inn provided an ideal stopping off place for travellers using the packhorse route between Okehampton and Tavistock. Also known as the Elliott Hotel and the Bullers Arms but became known as the Mary Tavy Inn from the early 20th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 504 788
Map Sheet:SX57NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishMary Tavy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishMARY TAVY

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • COTTAGE NON SPECIFIC (Constructed, XV to XVI - 1500 AD to 1599 AD (Between))
  • INN (Altered, XVIII to XIX - 1750 AD? to 1880 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Building is depicted on the Tithe Map; 721 on the Mary Tavy apportionment.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The 'Buller's Arms' is depicted on the late 19th century historic mapping.


Quick, T., 1992, Dartmoor Inns, 69-70 (Monograph). SDV359976.

Thought to originally have been three cottages dating to the 16th century, this inn provided an ideal stopping off place for travellers using the packhorse route between Okehampton and Tavistock. Also known as the Elliott Hotel and the Bullers Arms but became known as the Mary Tavy Inn from the early 20th century.
There used to be more cottages in a row adjoining the inn; these have since been demolished. The occupant of one of these was the local blacksmith who was apparently hanged on nearby Gibbet Hill for stealing sheep on the moor.
The Coachman's Bar with its wooden beamed ceiling has a thatched canopy over the bar. The original open veranda has since been enclosed and is now the family room.


Google, 2017, Google Streetview (Website). SDV359965.

August 2016 image of the inn shows that the enclosed veranda area at the front of the building has been removed at some point since the early 1990s (see image in Quick's book).


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

The Mary Tavy Inn is depicted on the modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #77659 ]
SDV359965Website: Google. 2017. Google Streetview. http://maps.google.co.uk. Website.
SDV359976Monograph: Quick, T.. 1992. Dartmoor Inns. Dartmoor Inns. Paperback Volume. 69-70.

Associated Monuments

MDV107341Related to: Church smallholding, Mary Tavy (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 23 2017 9:54AM