HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV118381
Name:The Northmore Arms, Wonson

Summary

Originally a labourer's cottage and cider house, later becoming the 'New Inn'. Changed it's name to the 'Northmore Arms' in the 1970s, after Mr Northmore who lived at Wonson Manor and lost his estate gambling at cards.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 673 896
Map Sheet:SX68NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishThrowleigh
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTHROWLEIGH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARM LABOURERS COTTAGE (Constructed, XVIII - 1750 AD? to 1800 AD (Between))
  • INN (Altered, XIX - 1840 AD? to 1880 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Building depicted on the Tithe Map at this location is almost triangular in shape, fronting onto the road.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The late 19th century historic map shows the New Inn as a square building; unclear whether this is a new structure or modification of that shown on the Tithe Map.


Quick, T., 1992, Dartmoor Inns, 70-1 (Monograph). SDV359976.

Northmore Arms is thought to have originally been a labourer's cottage that also served as a cider house, before becoming an inn. At this time there were two separate rooms in the front of the inn. One of them was the bar room which was separated from the bar by a glazed partition, the cider and ale being served from a small hatchway on the right. The second room housed a piano and was used for sing alongs. Approximately 25 years ago, the dividing wall was removed and the new bar was fitted. Until the early 1970s it was known as the New Inn, when it changed its name; taken from Mr Northmore who lived in the Manor House at the nearby Wonson estate. He is known for having gambled his estate when playing cards and lost, beaten by the ace of diamonds; there is an engraving of this card on the wall of Wonson Manor for all to see today. Inn known locally as 'The Wonson'.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

The Northmore Arms is depicted on the modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #77663 ]
SDV359976Monograph: Quick, T.. 1992. Dartmoor Inns. Dartmoor Inns. Paperback Volume. 70-1.

Associated Monuments

MDV76991Part of: Northmore Arms, Throwleigh (Monument)
MDV111265Related to: North Wonson Farm, Throwleigh (Monument)
MDV111268Related to: Wonson Manor Farm, Throwleigh (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 23 2017 10:39AM