HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV118417
Name:The Post Inn, Whiddon Down

Summary

Inn was originally known as the Post Office Inn and the innkeeper served as a postmaster. Building may date to the 16th century; has been altered over time, including incorporating the adjoining cottages to serve as a public bar at one end and dining room at the other.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 691 925
Map Sheet:SX69SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDrewsteignton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishDREWSTEIGNTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • INN (Constructed, XV to XIX - 1500 AD? to 1840 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Tithe Map appears to depict the inn; at a time when there was little else at Whiddon Down. Long, narrow building is depicted alongside the road junction.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The 'Post Office Inn' is depicted on the late 19th century historic map; largely matches the modern depictions, suggesting little has changed to the overall layout since the late 19th century.


Quick, T., 1992, Dartmoor Inns, 83-4 (Monograph). SDV359976.

The Post Inn, formerly the Post Office Inn once formed part of a chain of roadside inns upon which the history of the Post Office was founded. This inn is thought to date to the 16th century, after Henry VIII started a network for mail to be delivered around the country. In 1516 a series of posting houses was set-up where the king's couriers could get fresh horses. In 1635 The Royal Post Service was opened up for public use with the innkeepers serving as postmasters.
In 1964 the name of this inn changed to the Post Inn. The building has expanded over the years with the acquisition of the adjoining cottages, part of which form the public bar at one end, and dining room at the other. The original building now houses the lounge bar and a section of the dining room.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

Modern mapping shows 'The Post Inn (public house)'.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #77701 ]
SDV359976Monograph: Quick, T.. 1992. Dartmoor Inns. Dartmoor Inns. Paperback Volume. 83-4.

Associated Monuments

MDV7002Related to: Chapel, Whiddon Down (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 24 2017 11:54AM