HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV118841
Name:Mill house at Bagtor, Ilsington


18th or 19th century former mill house, attached to the corn mill.


Grid Reference:SX 768 755
Map Sheet:SX77NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishIlsington
Ecclesiastical ParishILSINGTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MILL HOUSE (Constructed, XIX - 1849 AD to 1880 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

The Tithe Map depicts the mill, which is described in the apportionment listing for plot 1629 as 'Bagtor Mills; mill house and pond'. Main mill building shown.

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The extension to the south-east of the mill building now depicted on the later 19th century historic map; presumably this is the mill house referred to in the listing.

Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

Depicted on the modern mapping.

Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

House, formerly a mill and mill house. Probably late C17 or early C18, with C18 or C19 addition at south-east end. Granite rubble with thatched roof, half hipped at south-east end. Granite ashlar chimneystack on each gable of original building, that on south-west gable projecting and with offsets. L-shaped plan, the former mill house occupying the south-west range. 2 storeys. Original house has 2-window fronts facing inwards to south-east and south-west; all windows good quality replicas of C19 small paned casements. Above ground storey of south-west front an old slated pent roof on wooden brackets; slates have light covering of cement. Against the north-east front of the original mill range is a large cast iron water wheel moulded with the inscription: BEARE SON & CO 1875. This firm operated at Liverton foundry. The wheel was not in position when the former list was compiled, but is believed to have been reassembled from parts found on the site. There are no windows in the north east front of the addition. Interior including the upper floor beams, has been rebuilt in a style sympathetic to the older work. In south-west gable of ground storey is a large original fireplace with segmental arch of big, well cut granite voussoirs. At the back is an oven with cast iron door set in original stone frames opening with shallow stone shelf in front. Roofs of both original ranges has C18 or early C19 trusses with collars pegged to the faces of the principal rafters. About 20 metres south-west of the house is an outbuilding. Tnis is separately listed. The house, outbuilding and mill cottage (about 50 metres to the east and separately listed) form a group of high visual quality.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #78103 ]
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV8088Related to: Bagtor Mill, Ilsington (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Mar 28 2017 4:27PM