HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV119108
Name:Farrantshayes Farm, Clyst Hydon

Summary

19th century farmstead on a double courtyard plan. The farmhouse has 17th century origins but was largely rebuilt in the 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 049 008
Map Sheet:ST00SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishClyst Hydon
DistrictEast Devon

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (Built, XVII to XIX - 1601 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

Recorded as House, Building and Courtlage (438) on the Clyst Hydon Tithe Apportionment.

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Farmstead primarily comprising two adjoining square courtyards with the farmhouse on the south side of the western courtyard.

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Farmstead marked as Farrant's Hayes, comprising ranges of buildings around a double courtyard with a pump in the western yard. Additional separate buildings are depicted to the east of the courtyard with orchards to the north and south. Map object partly based on this source.

Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

Map object partly based on this source.

Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, 1098200 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

Farrants Hayes Farmhouse including courtyard of farmbuildings adjoining to north. Farmhouse. C17 origins; rebuilt, rearranged and enlarged in the mid - late C19, some C20 modernisations. Plastered stone rubble and brick, parts may be cob; stone rubble and brick stacks with plastered brick chimneyshafts; slate roof. Plan: 4-room plan farmhouse facing south. A central axial stack serves back-to- back fireplaces and heats the middle rooms. The end rooms have gable-end stacks. The 2 right (east) rooms are the service rooms and the 2 principal rooms are those to tne left and these are separated by the entrance hall containing the main stair. There is evidence of a C17 house in the centre section but not enough to disclose its layout. The present layout is essentially mid - late C19. In the C20 part of the farmbuildings to rear of the left (west) end have been converted to domestic use. House is 2 storeys with a C20 service extension on the right end. Exterior: irregular 8-window front. The left 3-window section (to the prinicipal rooms) is symmetrical about the front doorway which contains a C19 part-glazed 6- panel door behind a flat-roofed Tuscan porch with moulded entablature. It is flanked by probably secondary canted bay windows containing horned 2-pane sashes. The first floor windows are C19 3-light casements with margin panes and the remains of stucco eared architraves with keystones, (the right window is blind). The first floor window immediately right is a similar casement but without the architrave. Further right there are 2 single light windows with similar glazing bar patterns. The rest are PVC casements dating from 1986 and there are more to rear. The roof is gable-ended and the left (west) gable has ornate bargeboards. Interior: is largely the result of C19 and C20 modernisations although some C17 carpentry is exposed in the centre rooms. The former kitchen right of centre has a plain chamfered crossbeam. The fireplace here is plastered but its oak lintel is chamfered with scroll stops. The parlour left of centre has 2 richly moulded axial beams but the fireplace here is blocked. The rear courtyard is enclosed with mid - late C19 farmbuildings. Part of the west wing has been converted to domestic use, most of the north wing is taken up by a threshing barn with a horse engine house and there is also a full height carriageway entrance. The east wing is stables. A tall cob wall projects westward from the outer side of the left wing between the farm drive and front garden. It contains an arch-headed doorway.
Date first listed: 24th October 1988.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1098200.

Associated Monuments

MDV83598Parent of: FARRANTS HAYES FARMHOUSE INCLUDING COURTYARD OF FARMBUILDINGS ADJOINING TO NORTH (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Nov 7 2019 10:34AM