HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV11939
Name:Stevenstone House, St. Giles in the Wood

Summary

16th century building remodelled circa 1700 and again in the 1870s. The house was abandoned circa 1945 and became a ruin

Location

Grid Reference:SS 527 193
Map Sheet:SS51NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishSt. Giles in the Wood
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishST.GILES IN THE WOOD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS51NW/15
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANSION HOUSE (XI to XXI - 1001 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Unknown, Untitled Source (Unattributed Sites and Monuments Register Entry). SDV340785.

Stevenstone House ruin. Rebuilt 1872 on site of 1720 and earlier mansions. The old family seat of Stevenstone which in time of Henry II belonged to Richard St. Michael and in reign of Henry VIII was purchased by George Rolle, a merchant of London.


Risden, T., 1811, Choreographical Description of Devon, 1580-1640, 274 (Monograph). SDV660.


Anonymous, 1875, Untitled Source, 93-4 (Article in Serial). SDV658.


Reichel, O. J., 1928 - 1938, The Hundred of Fremington in Early Times, 502,513-515,519 (Article in Monograph). SDV20648.

Stevenstone was included in Toritona in Domesday. It was held by Goscelm. Early descents given.


Hoskins, W. G., 1947 - 1949, The Meaning of Barton, 275-6 (Article in Serial). SDV652.

Stevenstone Barton first appears by this name in 1242 but was recorded in the Domesday survey under another name.


Pevsner, N., 1952, The Buildings of England: North Devon, 145 (Monograph). SDV336196.

The present building was built 1872-1873. Close by are fragments of a previous house probably of 1720-1730.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1953, SS51NW3 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV648.

The southern and main part of the house is a derelict shell without interior floors. It is stone built and part brick lined. Only one period of building could be detected. The northern part of the house has been converted into a series of minor dwellings. The western part which formed a connecting link between the north and south parts has been entirely demolished. There are no visible traces of antiquity. Other details: Photographs.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1973, SS51NW3 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV649.

The former 19th century stable block and yard is now called Stevenstone Court (Snell shows a photograph of the house still intact).


Unknown, 1976 - 1984, Development Control Consultations (Un-published). SDV346248.

Visited 20th March 1979 by Simon Timms. The house had extensive late 19th century rebuilding. Occupied by United States Army during World War II, and pulled down afterwards. Substantial ruins remain to seclond floor windows in places.


Timms, S., 1980, Stevenstone House (Worksheet). SDV357628.


Timms, S. C., 1980, Untitled Source (Personal Comment). SDV650.

No change. The ruins of the main house have not been bought by the Landmark Trust.


Unknown, 1980, Untitled Source (Photograph). SDV663.


Lauder, R. A., 1981, Untitled Source (Monograph). SDV664.


Gallant, L., 1986, Deer Parks and Paddocks of England (Un-published). SDV656.

Estate called Stephenston in 17th century came to the family in 13th century passing by marriage to the Moyles, then to the Rolles.


Department of Environment, 1989, St. Giles in the Wood, 182-4 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV655.

Ruins of mansion.1872-73 by Rolle on an ancient site; reduced in size circa 1914; abandoned since circa 1945. Grey coloured snecked stone with cream coloured limestone detail, rendered brick internally; brick and stone stacks with snecked stone chimneyshafts with limestone coping; no roof, formerly slate. Plan: ruined mansion. The entrance front faces east. It is said to be the original front rebuilt further back when the east half of the house was done away with circa 1914. The interior walls have collapsed and are much overgrown and therefore a description of the layout of rooms is not possible here. Nevertheless it is clear that the principal rooms were those on the south and east sides. Service rooms were increasingly concentrated in the northwest corner and a service block connecting that corner, northwards and connecting to the service courtyard (now called Stevenstone Court) has been demolished. Formerly 2 storeys with a basement. Exterior: the ruined walls are very overgrown and rarely stand their full height. A 3-storey turret and stack stand high and relatively intact in the southwest corner and a large projecting lateral stack dominates the east front. The windows have limestone ashlar architraves and the most prominent have curvilinear pediments filled with the carved Rolle arms. Eaves cornices and chimneyshaft cornice are limestone modillion friezes. The east (entrance) front has an irregular 5-window front interrupted by the projecting stack right of centre. The doorway is central. Partly collapsed flight of steps to remains of stone ashlar shallow porch; external bands of rusticated stone and panelled interior. The south front, overlooking the deer park, has a 4-window front. The right end window here is a projecting bay window with very large windows. According to the owner he has a pre-1914 photograph showing this bay window is central. Interior: completely collapsed although here and there the walls are still plastered and one room in the southwest corner has the remnants of a moulded plaster cornice including a modillion frieze. All the carpentry, joinery and other fixtures and fittings have been removed.


Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 760 (Monograph). SDV325629.


Pugsley, S, 1994, Devon Gardens, 140-142 (Monograph). SDV672.


Gray, T., 1995, The Garden History of Devon: An Illustrated Guide to Sources, 209-10 (Monograph). SDV671.

16th century building remodelled circa 1700 and again in the 1870s. The house was abandoned circa 1945 and became a ruin. The two pavillions were taken over by the landmark Trust in 1978.


Clark, J. + Richardson, D., 1999, Stevenstone (Un-published). SDV340784.


Ford, A., 2001, Mark Rolle. His Architectural Legacy in the Lower Otter Valley, 9 (Monograph). SDV356721.


Slatcher, D., 2007, Deep Moor IVC: Desk Based Assessment, 4 (Report - Assessment). SDV339133.

Other details: Appendix.


Snell, F. J. et al, Undated, Devonshire, 200; Photo (Unknown). SDV661.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV20648Article in Monograph: Reichel, O. J.. 1928 - 1938. The Hundred of Fremington in Early Times. The Hundreds of Devon. A5 Hardback. 502,513-515,519.
SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 760.
SDV336196Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1952. The Buildings of England: North Devon. The Buildings of England: North Devon. Paperback Volume. 145.
SDV339133Report - Assessment: Slatcher, D.. 2007. Deep Moor IVC: Desk Based Assessment. RPS Leeds Report. DLE 1052. Digital. 4.
SDV340784Un-published: Clark, J. + Richardson, D.. 1999. Stevenstone. Devon Register Review. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV340785Unattributed Sites and Monuments Register Entry: Unknown.
SDV346248Un-published: Unknown. 1976 - 1984. Development Control Consultations. Devon County Council Conservation Section Collection. A4 Unbound.
SDV356721Monograph: Ford, A.. 2001. Mark Rolle. His Architectural Legacy in the Lower Otter Valley. Paperback Volume. 9.
SDV357628Worksheet: Timms, S.. 1980. Stevenstone House. Worksheet + Digital.
SDV648Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1953. SS51NW3. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV649Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1973. SS51NW3. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV650Personal Comment: Timms, S. C.. 1980.
SDV652Article in Serial: Hoskins, W. G.. 1947 - 1949. The Meaning of Barton. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 23. Unknown. 275-6.
SDV655List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1989. St. Giles in the Wood. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 182-4.
SDV656Un-published: Gallant, L.. 1986. Deer Parks and Paddocks of England. Deer Parks and Paddocks of England. Manuscript.
SDV658Article in Serial: Anonymous. 1875. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 7. A5 Hardback. 93-4.
SDV660Monograph: Risden, T.. 1811. Choreographical Description of Devon, 1580-1640. Choreographical Description of Devon, 1580-1640. Unknown. 274.
SDV661Unknown: Snell, F. J. et al. Undated. Devonshire. Mates County Series. Unknown. 200; Photo.
SDV663Photograph: Unknown. 1980. Slide. Slide.
SDV664Monograph: Lauder, R. A.. 1981. Vanished Houses of North Devon. Unknown.
SDV671Monograph: Gray, T.. 1995. The Garden History of Devon: An Illustrated Guide to Sources. The Garden History of Devon: An Illustrated Guide to Sources. Paperback Volume. 209-10.
SDV672Monograph: Pugsley, S. 1994. Devon Gardens. Devon Gardens. Unknown. 140-142.

Associated Monuments

MDV58463Parent of: Stevenstone House, Library (Building)
MDV58463Related to: Stevenstone House, Library (Building)
MDV44182Related to: Deer Shelter, Stevenstone Deer Park (Building)
MDV34972Related to: Diana Lodge (Monument)
MDV64784Related to: Little Silver Cottage (Monument)
MDV11943Related to: Stevenstone Deer Park (Monument)
MDV64783Related to: Stevenstone House Park (Monument)
MDV58464Related to: Stevenstone House, Garden Walls (Building)
MDV58466Related to: Stevenstone House, Gateway (Building)
MDV58463Parent of: Stevenstone House, Library (Building)
MDV58463Related to: Stevenstone House, Library (Building)
MDV11999Related to: Stevenstone House, Orangery (Building)
MDV58465Related to: Stevenstone House, Terrace Walls (Building)
MDV67710Related to: Stevenstone Park, Diana Statue (Monument)
MDV34955Related to: Stevenstone Park, Quarry (Monument)
MDV34956Related to: Stevenstone Park, Quarry (Monument)
MDV64346Related to: Warren, Stevenstone Park (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV1539 - Unnamed Event
  • EDV1541 - SS51NW3
  • EDV1542 - SS51NW3
  • EDV4280 - Deep Moor IVC

Date Last Edited:Jan 21 2015 11:48AM