HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV11940
Name:Beaford, Abbot's Hill


17th century farmhouse, said to have been a manor house of the Abbots of Hartland.


Grid Reference:SS 540 152
Map Sheet:SS51NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBeaford
Ecclesiastical ParishBEAFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS51NW/16
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANOR HOUSE (Post Medieval to XXI - 1540 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880s, Ordnance Survey (Cartographic). SDV848.

Abbot's Hill remains of a manor house.

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1954, SS51NW1 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV1325.

House has recently been reconditioned. Foundations probably in north and east faces. Any remains are well hidden. Condition of building is good, farm house having been recently re-roofed. Originally owned by Hartland Abbey, bloodstain where duel was fought in bedroom in Civil War. Barn contains remains of chapel window. Other details: Photos.

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1973, Untitled Source (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV1326.

No external signs of antiquity. Outer walls are stucco faced and colour washed the E front was added about 1910. The chapel window could not be identified in any of the old barns. Several openings have been blocked and rendered over.

Department of Environment, 1989, Beaford, 1 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV321165.

Farmhouse. C17, remodelled and enlarged in the late c18 or early c19. Some late c19 or early c20 alterations. Rendered, probably over cob and stone. Gable-ended c2 asbestos slate roofs, hipped over bays. Slate roof over lean-to addition, with c20 bitumen covering. Rendered end stacks and lateral stack to rear with c19 brick tops.
Plan and development: probable c17 three-room and through passage plan, facing east (ground falls to right). Consisting of former hall with lateral stack to rear, former through passage and service rooms to right with external end stack and former inner room to left with external end stack. A thorough late c18 or early c19 remodelling included the addition of full height canted bays to the hall and service end and the addition of the dairy outshut at the right hand end. Large kitchen wing at rear of right hand end with end stack probably also added in the early c19. Interior also remodelled at the same time. Two storeys with one storey outshut.
Exterior: the pair of c.1800 full height canted bays have triple sashes glazing bars (12 pane to ground floor and 16 pane to first floor) with wooden cills and metal beading at angles between. First floor 12 pane (lower leaf of 4 x 2 panes and upper leaf of 4 x 1 panes) glazing bar sash (probably early c20 replacement - see Horns) between bays and c.1800 first floor 12 pane glazing bar sash (lower leaf of 4 x 2 panes and upper leaf of 4 x 1 panes) to left of left hand bay. Recessed doorway between bays has early c20 half glazed door with leaded coloured glass. Half glazed door to left of left hand bay with 2 lower side beaded flush panels and 3 x 3 small panes to upper part. Late c20 lean-to glazed porch. End stacks with chamfered offsets. First floor early c19 sixteen pane glazing bar sash to right of right hand end stack. Former dairy at right hand gable end has c19 boarded door to front and paired c19 wooden casements to side. Right hand side of rear wing has 2 first floor c20 two light wooden casements and 2 ground floor boxed 12 pane glazing bar sashes (probably early c20). Former doorway at rear of left hand end of central room (nor window) has chamfered wooden frame with mason's mitred joints and 4 part rectangular overlight.
Interior: only ground floor inspected at time of survey (december 1987). Late c18 or early c19 doors throughout, each with 6 raised and fielded panels. C17 chamfered beam in with ogee stop in wall between former hall and inner room, chamfered on right hand hall) side only.
The house is said to have been a manor of the Abbots of Hartland.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV1325Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1954. SS51NW1.
SDV1326Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1973.
SDV321165List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1989. Beaford. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 1.
SDV848Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey. 25".

Associated Monuments

MDV11958Related to: Holy Well 480m north west of Beaford Mill (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV2689 - Unnamed Event
  • EDV2690 - SS51NW1

Date Last Edited:Nov 15 2005 3:13PM