See important
guidance on the use of this record.
If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.
| HER Number: | MDV11953 |
|---|
| Name: | Farmhouse and Outbuildings, Upcott Barton, Beaford |
|---|
Summary
Farmhouse probably 16th century in origin but heavily remodelled in the late 18th or early 19th century. The adjoining outbuildings are also probably late 18th or early 19th century.
Location
| Grid Reference: | SS 563 155 |
|---|
| Map Sheet: | SS51NE |
|---|
| Admin Area | Devon |
|---|
| Civil Parish | Beaford |
|---|
| District | Torridge |
|---|
| Ecclesiastical Parish | BEAFORD |
|---|
Protected Status
Other References/Statuses
- Old DCC SMR Ref: SS51NE/21
- Old Listed Building Ref (II)
- Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SS51NE2
Monument Type(s) and Dates
- FARMHOUSE (Built, XVI to XIX - 1501 AD to 1900 AD)
Full description
Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1973, SS51NE2 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV259.
Site visit 27th September 1973. Externally the farmhouse is of 19th century date. Earlier buildings to the north are store sheds of cob with no features to suggest medieval origin.
Department of Environment, 1989, Beaford, 19 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV321165.
Upcott Barton and outbuildings adjoining to rear. Farmhouse and adjoining outbuildings. Probably C16, heavily remodelled in the late C18 or early C19. Later additions probably also of the late C18 or early C19. Rendered, probably over stone rubble and cob, and with gable ended scantle slate roof. Stone rubble and cob additions at rear with welsh slate and asbestos slate roofs, hipped over end of rear wing. Stone stacks to rear additions.
Plan and development: C16 3 room and through passage plan, facing s (ground falls to left). Hall with large external stack to rear, through passage to left and former service room beyond to left with integral end stack and former inner room to right also with integral end stack. The hall stack probably formerly heated an open hall (see high-arched fireplace). Parallel kitchen range added to rear of hall and passage, probably in the C18, with integral end stack to right.
Early C19 remodelling included the insertion of a new principal entrance and staircase between hall and former inner room. Porch probably added to through passage entrance at the same time. Service wing projecting at right angles to the rear of the left hand end probably added in the C18 or early C19, with an integral end stack. Small service courtyard enclosed at rear by range of outbuildings to north and wall to east, probably also both late C18 or early C19. Later C19 alterations included the insertion of a second staircase to the rear of the through passage, in the parallel rear range. Two storeys.
Exterior: early C19 guttering with lion masks and early C19 square wooden bellcote in ridge off centre to left with louvres and tented lead cap. Almost symmetrically fenestrated front, with 5 windows to first floor and 4 to ground floor; early C19 glazing bar sashes, 12 pane to first floor and 16 pane to ground floor. Left hand ground floor window replaced by mid C19 6 pane. Two central ground floor windows light hall. All front windows with slate cills. Segmental headed passage doorway between first and second windows from left has probably early C19 nail studded boarded door and beaded wooden frame, gabled porch with flagged floor. Small inserted window to left of porch. Inserted early C19 doorway between first and second windows from right has 8 panelled door with moulded architrave and recessed porch with wooden doorcase consisting of unfluted doric half columns supporting frieze and cornice. Old sundial on wall above porch, with wrought iron gnomon. First floor boxed 12 pane glazing bar sash in left hand gable end. Small early C19 margin light small pane wooden fixed window to rear, lighting top of early C19 staircase. Large rear lateral stack with chamfered offsets. Parallel kitchen range to rear has first floor 12 paned glazing bar sash (later replacement) and ground floor 16 pane glazing bar sash. Segmental headed early C19 nail studded boarded door to right and slightly projecting porch with first floor C18 glazing bar sash. Courtyard side of rear wing has probably late C18 or early C19 3 light wooden window (later reglazed). Through carriageway to left with wooden lintels and pair of large boarded doors to rear. Wall enclosing e side of courtyard has boarded doorway.
Interior: thorough internal late C18 or early C19 remodelling too. Much c.1800 joinery throughout including doors with 6 raised and fielded panels and moulded architraves. Large stone fireplace (possibly rebuilt) to rear of hall with high dressed stone segmental arch and 2 bread ovens. Blocked doorway to left of fireplace. Probably C19 matchboarded dado and splayed reveals to front windows, also with matchboarding. Early C19 cupboard in right hand wall with pair of 2 panelled doors. Wide through passage with stone flagged floor. Reused C17 panelling along right hand wall, cut down for use as dado panelling. Left hand ground floor room has c.1800 cupboards with raised and fielded panelled doors, moulded architrave and moulded cornice. Inserted c.1800 staircase between hall and right hand ground floor room with open string, stick balusters, columnar foot newel and swept handrail. Right hand end room has C17 or C18 stone fireplace with later surround and c.1800 panelled window shutters. Mid to late C19 staircase to rear of through passage with stick balusters and turned newel. Bedrooms also with late C18 or early C19 joinery including 6-panelled doors etc. Late C19 roof over hall range with machine sawn king post trusses. Probably late C18 trusses over rear wing. There was formerly an old chapel attached to the house, but nothing now remains.
Ordnance Survey, 2026, Mastermap 2026 (Cartographic). SDV366713.
Sources / Further Reading
| SDV259 | Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1973. SS51NE2. OSAD Card. Card Index + Digital. |
| |
| | |
| SDV321165 | List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1989. Beaford. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 19. |
| |
| | |
| SDV366713 | Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2026. Mastermap 2026. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #78795 ] |
| |
| | |
Associated Monuments
| MDV58736 | Related to: Barn to south-east of Upcott Barton, Beaford (Building) |
| MDV135901 | Related to: Cart shed at Upcott Barton, Beaford (Building) |
| MDV135902 | Related to: Cider house and shelter shed at Upcott Barton, Beaford (Building) |
| MDV58737 | Related to: Coach House and Stables, Upcott Barton, Beaford (Building) |
| MDV58739 | Related to: Front Garden Walls of Upcott Barton, Beaford (Monument) |
| MDV94651 | Related to: Kitchen Garden Walls Adjoining Upcott Barton to north-east (Building) |
Associated Finds: none recorded
Associated Events: none recorded
| Date Last Edited: | Jun 10 2026 4:23PM |
|---|
Search results generated by the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd.