HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV119548
Name:Remains of a Building at Higher Cadworthy Farm, Meavy

Summary

Ruined building within a small rectangular enclosure at Higher Cadworthy Farm

Location

Grid Reference:SX 549 644
Map Sheet:SX56SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishMeavy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishMEAVEY
Ecclesiastical ParishMEAVY
Ecclesiastical ParishSHAUGH PRIOR

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56SW/121

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BUILDING (IV to XV - 400 AD to 1500 AD)

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

L-shaped building shown on 19th century Meavy Tithe Map. The Apportionment for 'Cadworthy' lists Field Number 801 as 'Barn Park and Barn'.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Two adjoining buildings shown on 19th century map with a small rectilinear enclosure to the west.


Berry, N., 2005, Archaeological and Historic Landscape Survey of Lower Cadworthy Farm, Meavy, Devon, Sites 59, Site Distribution Map, Site Summary, Site Inventory (Report - Survey). SDV360144.

Ruined building used as a hay store within the remains of a small rectangular enclosure. The structure is the remains of the Medieval settlement of Higher Cadworthy farm. The structure consists of two buildings back to back. On the east side is the overgrown remains of the probable farmhouse. Substantial earth and stone banks delineate a rectangular building 10 metres long and about 1 metre high. The stone linhay to the west has one large stone wall surviving to 2 metres high with the west side supported by two granite pillars overlain by a corrugated iron roof. The site lies within a small enclosure built into the hillside with the rear wall surviving to 1.5 metres high.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

Rectangular building shown on modern mapping with a rectangular enclosure to the west.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #78814 ]
SDV360144Report - Survey: Berry, N.. 2005. Archaeological and Historic Landscape Survey of Lower Cadworthy Farm, Meavy, Devon. National Trust Report. A4 Comb Bound. Sites 59, Site Distribution Map, Site Summary, Site Inventory.

Associated Monuments

MDV12898Related to: Higher Cadworthy Farmstead, Meavy (Monument)
MDV77828Related to: Lower Cadworthy Farm, Meavy (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV7251 - Lower Cadworthy Farm: Archaeological and Historic Landscape Survey
  • EDV5292 - Survey of buildings at Lower Cadworthy, Meavy

Date Last Edited:Jul 14 2017 3:37PM