HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV11959
Name:Huish Barton


Seventeenth century farmhouse said to incorporate the remains of a manor house.


Grid Reference:SS 533 111
Map Sheet:SS51SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishHuish
Ecclesiastical ParishHUISH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS51SW/16
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 90912

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANOR HOUSE (XVII to XIX - 1601 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Unatributed Sites and Monuments Register Entry (Unattributed Sites and Monuments Register Entry). SDV263.

Huish Barton incorporating remains of manor house.

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

"Huish Barton (Remains of a) Manor House" shown.

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

"Huish Barton Remains of Manor House" shown.

Reichel, O. J., 1906, Translation of the Devonshire Domesday, 492 (Article in Serial). SDV337899.

Reichel, O. J., 1928 - 1938, The Hundred of Shebbear in Early Times, 442,443,534,543,544,582 (Article in Monograph). SDV7713.

Little Huish was Ywis in Domesday. It was held by Ralf Vitalis of Odo, son of Gamelin. Before the conquest it was held by Sawin, a free thane.

Department of Environment, 1959, Torrington RD Provisional List, 8 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV118.

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1973 - 1980, SS51SW6 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV343660.

Visited 23rd September 1973. Probably 18th-19th century and not outstanding. Three well preserved 16th century 3-light mullioned windows are built into south side of house. Other details: Photographs.

Morris, J., 1985, Domesday Book: Devon (Part Two) (Monograph). SDV249.

Department of Environment, 1988, Huish, 70 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV6312.

Huish Barton.
Farmhouse. Circa mid 17th century with 19th century additions. Part rendered rubble walls. Gable-ended slate roof. 2 brick gable end stacks to front range. Projecting rubble stack with brick shaft to rear leanto. Rear wing has small 17th century rubble gable-end stack
with moulded dripcourse.
Plan: Seventeenth century rear wing has 2-room plan, the end room heated by a gable-end stack; the original house however is likely to have been larger, part of it possibly replaced by the present 19th century front range. This was added probably in the mid 19th century and has 2-room and central stairhall plan and with an outshut built as kitchen behind it, either contemporary or slightly later. Probably later 19th century outshut built behind 17th century range.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Regular 4-window front, 2 to ground floor which are original 12-pane sashes with contemporary or later 2-light casements above. To left of centre is 19th century hipped roof porch with early-mid 19th century 6-panel door behind. 19th century single
storey extension at right-hand end. Behind the left-hand end is a large outshut. Behind the right-hand end the 17th century rear wing extends. On its outer face it has 3 small gables with 17th century 3-light hollow-chamfered stone mullion windows. Twentieth century casements on ground floor with central doorway. 2 storey outshut on inner face of 17th century wing.
Interior: Seventeenth century wing has an original ovolo-moulded wooden doorframe on the 1st floor, but in a curious position as a former outside wall. 2 fairly rough 17th century plank and muntin screens also survive on the 1st floor. The wing also probably retains its original roof structure with substantial straight principals and threaded or trenched purlins. Front section retains 19th century joinery with 6-panelled doors a panelled dado and staircase with wreathed handrail, open string and stick balusters. Other details: LBS no 90912.

Griffith, F. M., 1989, DAP/LH, 13 (Aerial Photograph). SDV343657.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV118List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1959. Torrington RD Provisional List. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 8.
SDV249Monograph: Morris, J.. 1985. Domesday Book: Devon (Part Two). Domesday Book: Devon (Part Two). 9. A5 Hardback.
SDV263Unattributed Sites and Monuments Register Entry: Unatributed Sites and Monuments Register Entry.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV337899Article in Serial: Reichel, O. J.. 1906. Translation of the Devonshire Domesday. Victoria History of the County of Devon. 1. A4 Hardback. 492.
SDV343657Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1989. DAP/LH. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 13.
SDV343660Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1973 - 1980. SS51SW6. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV6312List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Huish. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 70.
SDV7713Article in Monograph: Reichel, O. J.. 1928 - 1938. The Hundred of Shebbear in Early Times. The Hundreds of Devon. A5 Hardback. 442,443,534,543,544,582.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Nov 9 2009 2:54PM