HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV119843
Name:7 North Street, Ashburton

Summary

This building was the Commercial Inn between 1878-1910. After that it was taken over by the Liberal Club who converted it to billiards and cards rooms. Used by the forces during the war, the club closed in the 1960s and was sold on. Became business premises in 1985.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 755 699
Map Sheet:SX76NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishAshburton
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishASHBURTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • INN (XIX to XX - 1878 AD to 1910 AD (Between))
  • POLITICAL CLUB (XX - 1912 AD to 1979 AD (Between))
  • SHOP (XX - 1985 AD to 1989 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

Tithe Map records this building as a house; plot 1274.


Webb, P., 1995, The Pubs and Inns of Ashburton, 8-9 (Monograph). SDV347208.

The Commercial Inn, North Street.
This was situated in what is now Darnell's accountants offices (upstairs) and The Little Shop (downstairs). Trade directories record this as the Commercial Inn between 1878 and 1910. When the lease came up for renewal in 1911, there were seven licensed houses within 100 yards of this site. The Liberal Club bought the property and transformed it into billiards and card rooms with a reading room and accommodation for the caretaker, opening in April 1913. Used by the forces during the 1940s, but later closed in the 1960s. A change of use in 1985 saw it converted for shop space downstairs, with the accountants upstairs.


Google, 2017, Google Streetview (Website). SDV359965.

Image dated August 2016 shows the shop in the ground floor is now 'Trail Venture' walking company. No sign of an upstairs business.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

'Club' is depicted on the modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV347208Monograph: Webb, P.. 1995. The Pubs and Inns of Ashburton. The Pubs and Inns of Ashburton. Paperback Volume. 8-9.
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #79135 ]
SDV359965Website: Google. 2017. Google Streetview. http://maps.google.co.uk. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV23251Related to: 1 North Street, Ashburton (Building)
MDV23255Related to: 15 North Street, Ashburton (Building)
MDV80827Related to: 20 North Street, Ashburton (Building)
MDV92557Related to: 5 North Street (Roscoe), Ashburton (Building)
MDV23238Related to: 8 North Street, Ashburton (Building)
MDV23252Related to: 9 North Street, Ashburton (Building)
MDV119845Related to: Chrispin's Arms, North Street (Building)
MDV119846Related to: Duke's Head, Bullring (Building)
MDV119847Related to: Engineers Arms, North Street (Building)
MDV14333Related to: Site of 27 and 29 North Street, Ashburton (Building)
MDV119844Related to: The New Bottle, North Street (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 19 2017 2:06PM