HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV120126
Name:Ruined farmhouse at Standon Farm, Peter Tavy

Summary

Site of 19th century 'new' Farmhouse on the south side of the yard at Standon Farm which was destroyed by fire in May 1977. Depicted on 19th century historic maps, only the north wall survives of this building, with fireplace and two arched alcoves.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 545 814
Map Sheet:SX58SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishPeter Tavy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishPETER TAVY

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX58SW/101
  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XIX - 1870 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

Rectangular building shown on 19th century Tithe Map on the southern side of the yard.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Rectangular building with a small extension to the south shown on the south side of the yard at Standon farmstead.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Rectangular building shown on south side of the yard at Standon Farm. Map object partly based on this source.


Greeves, T., 2009, Standon Farm: an historical and archaeological survey, 87, 103 Figures 23 & 39 (Report - Survey). SDV360465.

The new farmhouse was destroyed by fire in May 1977 and only the north wall survives. The fireplace and two arched alcoves are still visible in the north wall. A sketch plan of the farmhouse was made in 1971 shown in Figure 39.
A dated stone was removed after the fire of 1977 and built into a garden hedge in Gulworthy.


Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.

Western side of building not shown on modern mapping. Map object partly based on this source.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV360465Report - Survey: Greeves, T.. 2009. Standon Farm: an historical and archaeological survey. A4 Spiral Bound. 87, 103 Figures 23 & 39.

Associated Monuments

MDV120125Related to: Barn on the west side of the yard at Standon Farm, Peter Tavy (Building)
MDV120121Related to: Earthworks east of Standon Farmstead, Peter Tavy (Monument)
MDV120123Related to: East Shippon at Standon Farm, Peter Tavy (Building)
MDV120124Related to: North Shippon at Standon Farm, Peter Tavy (Building)
MDV120122Related to: Old Farmhouse at Standon Farm, Peter Tavy (Building)
MDV19429Related to: Standon Farm, Peter Tavy (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6663 - Survey of the Willsworthy Training Area
  • EDV6664 - Survey of the Willsworthy Training Area
  • EDV6665 - Survey of the Willsworthy Training Area
  • EDV7425 - Standon Farm: an historical and archaeological survey

Date Last Edited:Nov 3 2017 10:09AM