HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV120767
Name:West Beam Mine, Owlacombe

Summary

Adjoining the Beam Mine, West Beam near Halshanger Wood was started about 1836 when a shaft was sunk on an extension of the old Beam Mine lodes (see MDV8195). Insufficient water-power to drive the pumping wheel limited production until a steam engine was erected in 1851 which allowed a depth of 66 fathoms to eventually be reached. It was taken over in 1857 with all the other local setts, becoming part of Owlacombe Mines (Ashburton United) but works appear to have ceased in 1866.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 765 735
Map Sheet:SX77SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishAshburton
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishASHBURTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MINE (XIX - 1836 AD to 1866 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Late 19th century historic map gives little indication of mine working here, other than showing a building (the burning house) adjacent to a trackway through the wood adjacent to Halshanger.


Hamilton Jenkin, Dr. A. K., 2005, Mines of Devon, 122 (Monograph). SDV282410.

Adjoining the Beam Mine, West Beam near Halshanger Wood was started about 1836 when a shaft was sunk on an extension of the old Beam lodes. In the course of the next 10 years sales of black tin realised £10,600 but owing to insufficient water-power to drive the pumping-wheel the company was unable to sink deeper than 40 fathoms and in 1848 working was suspended. In June 1851 a small 21 inch steam engine was erected and the shaft eventually reached a depth of 66 fathoms. It was taken over in 1857 with all the other local setts, by a company entitled Ashburton United (also known as Owlacombe Mines).
In 1866 a production of 30 tons of black tin and 22 tons of copper ore was recorded (citing Mining Journal 25/03/1848; 1851-2 passim. Spargo 1868 p. 182), soon after which the mine was abandoned.


Newman , P., 2014, West Beam Tin Mine (Plan - measured). SDV315264.

Plan survey of mine near Halshanger Wood; remains of the burning house, wheelpit and dressing floors shown, as well as trackway, leat and numerous earthworks.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Modern mapping shows the remains of the burning house, but nothing else.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV282410Monograph: Hamilton Jenkin, Dr. A. K.. 2005. Mines of Devon. Mines of Devon. Paperback Volume. 122.
SDV315264Plan - measured: Newman , P.. 2014. West Beam Tin Mine. Digital. [Mapped feature: #80009 ]
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV120771Parent of: Burning House at West Beam Mine, Owlacombe (Building)
MDV120774Parent of: Dressing floors at West Beam Mine, Owlacombe (Monument)
MDV120775Parent of: Leat at West Beam Mine, Owlacombe (Monument)
MDV120773Parent of: Wheel pit at West Beam Mine, Owlacombe (Monument)
MDV8195Related to: Beam Mine, Owlacombe (Monument)
MDV61839Related to: Open cut at Owlcombe Beam (Monument)
MDV8190Related to: Owlacombe Mine, Ashburton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 16 2018 4:18PM