HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV121026
Name:Blackbrook Farm, Princetown

Summary

No longer extant, Blackbrook was probably constructed in the early 19th century and remained in use until the later part of the 20th century. Ruined remains of the buildings can still be seen. One of four similar sites of farms spread along this road; thought to be the due to the Duchy of Cornwall leases granted in the early 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 587 749
Map Sheet:SX57SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDartmoor Forest
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLYDFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: SX57NE127
  • Pastscape: 1364140

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SMALLHOLDING (Constructed, XIX - 1806 AD to 1880 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Blackbrook' is shown on the late 19th century historic map, with a rectangular dwelling and another structure in an enclosure north of the road.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Unchanged from the late 19th century historic map. Map object partly based on this source.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Remains of the dwelling shown on the modern maps.


National Monument Record, 2018, Pastscape, 23/08/2002 (Website). SDV360651.

SX 58727499. The site of the former Black Brook Farm is marked by one section of part rendered granite walling 1.2 metres high and the footings of the western room of what appears to have been the farmhouse. No internal details are visible. Behind, to the north of the building is a level terrace, probably the former yard. A small garden plot lies to the east, adjacent to the road.
The building probably dates from 1806 when the Duchy of Cornwall granted a lease for an area north of the then turnpike road (B3357) to William Bough with the clause that the land be enclosed and a farmhouse built within 7 years (citing Duchy of Cornwall 1806 lease of land to William Bough. Duchy Record Office ). It was roofed in 1951 (citing Ordnance Survey 1951 map) but has since been all but demolished (citing Probert, S. A. J., 23/08/2002 English Heritage Field Investigation).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV360651Website: National Monument Record. 2018. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk. Website. 23/08/2002.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #80273 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV121030Related to: Smallholding at Rendlestone Tor, Princetown (Monument)
MDV121027Related to: Smallholding east of Blackbrook, Princetown (Monument)
MDV121025Related to: Smallholding north-west of Waldron Farm, Princetown (Monument)
MDV121028Related to: Summerhill smallholding, Princetown (Monument)
MDV16974Related to: Tavistock to Moretonhampstead road (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 6 2018 1:56PM