HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV121028
Name:Summerhill smallholding, Princetown

Summary

No longer extant, the late 19th century depicts a farm site north of the road, with at least four buildings. Also shown on the early 20th century historic map, was apparently still in use in the later 1940s (buildings still roofed on aerial photograph), the buildings completely removed by 1999. One of four similar sites of farms spread along this road; thought to be the due to the Duchy of Cornwall leases granted in the early 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 584 750
Map Sheet:SX57NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDartmoor Forest
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLYDFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: SX57NE130
  • Pastscape: 1364151

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SMALLHOLDING (Constructed, XIX - 1806 AD? to 1880 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The late 19th century historic map shows a roughly rectangular enclosure north of the road, containing at least three buildings.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

The early 20th century map clearly shows the buildings.


Royal Air Force, 1946 - 1949, Royal Air Force Aerial Photographs (Aerial Photograph). SDV342938.

The aerial photograph shows the buildings still roofed and apparently in use. By the time of the 1999 aerial, all trace of the farm has been removed.


National Monument Record, 2018, Pastscape, 23/08/2002 (Website). SDV360651.

Centred SX 58467503. The buildings of Summerhill have been completely effaced apart from a section of granite, brick and concrete walling some 14.8 metres long and 1.0 metres high that flanks the B3357. This would appear to have been part of the farmyard wall. The opposite verge displays two narrow enclosures that once formed part of this holding.
The buildings were in existence by 1840 (citing Tithe Map) and continued in use until at least the 1950s when the Ordnance Survey depicts them as roofed (1951 historic map). The date of final abandonment is not known (citing Probert, S. A. J., 23/08/2002 EH Field Investigation).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #80275 ]
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV342938Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 - 1949. Royal Air Force Aerial Photographs. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Digital).
SDV360651Website: National Monument Record. 2018. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk. Website. 23/08/2002.

Associated Monuments

MDV121026Related to: Blackbrook Farm, Princetown (Monument)
MDV121030Related to: Smallholding at Rendlestone Tor, Princetown (Monument)
MDV121027Related to: Smallholding east of Blackbrook, Princetown (Monument)
MDV121025Related to: Smallholding north-west of Waldron Farm, Princetown (Monument)
MDV16974Related to: Tavistock to Moretonhampstead road (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 6 2018 2:46PM