HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV121121
Name:Three cottages at Brent Mill

Summary

Row of three small cottages demolished to make way for the modern terrace of cottages (Beacon Terrace), built by the mid-20th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 698 596
Map Sheet:SX65NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSouth Brent
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH BRENT

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX65NE/298

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • COTTAGE NON SPECIFIC (Built, XVI to XIX - 1600 AD? to 1843 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments, Plots 1599, 1601, 1603 (Cartographic). SDV359954.

Shown on the 1843 Tithe Map and listed in the Apportionment as cottages. Row of three cottages with gardens at the front.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The late 19th century historic map appears to show four cottages in this row.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

The early 20th century historic map shows three cottages. The later mid-20th century historic map shows the newer terrace has replaced these cottages by this time.


Robinson, R., 1977-1979, South Brent Parish Checklist Worksheets, Page 497-8 of 821 (Worksheet). SDV340722.

Three Cottages at Brent Mill SX6986 5965
These cottages appear to have been demolished to make way for a more recent terrace of cottages (stone built and slated wit brick openings) immediately north of 'Clarence House', once the Globe Inn. They are shown on the Tithe Map of 1843 and recorded as cottages (1599, 1601, 1603) and 'Watering Place' (1605).
The Watering Place remains as a wide alley leading down to the left bank of the leat supplying Manor Mills. It is immediately west of the present row of cottages. The leat bank is here reinforced with stone and describes a sharp bend, either due to the lie of the land or to bring it closer to the alley.
Documentary source referred to - see source for details.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #80356 ]
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV340722Worksheet: Robinson, R.. 1977-1979. South Brent Parish Checklist Worksheets. South Brent Parish Checklist. Worksheet. Page 497-8 of 821.
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital. Plots 1599, 1601, 1603.

Associated Monuments

MDV27796Part of: Brent Mill hamlet (Monument)
MDV113217Related to: Bridge Farm formerly 'Brent Mill Farm', South Brent (Monument)
MDV13151Related to: Manor Mill, South Brent (Building)
MDV13146Related to: The former Clarence Inn (Clarence House), South Brent (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 23 2018 1:17PM