HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV121149
Name:The Barton, Belstone

Summary

Depicted on the Tithe Map, this house was used as the Rectory for a time from 1883, when the Revernd Buckworth moved from the Old Rectory, half a mile outside the village. The late 19th and early 20th century historic map depictions don't match, so there may have been some rebuilding around this time.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 619 935
Map Sheet:SX69SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBelstone
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBELSTONE

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (Built, XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD? to 1840 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments, Belstone 198 (Cartographic). SDV359954.

The building is depicted on the Tithe Map; plot 198: 'House and Yard (Barton)'. House is a large rectangular structure, aligned roughly south-west by north-east.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The later 19th century historic map doesn't match the Tithe Map for this building; appears to have been some change. The adjoining building to the south appears unchanged, but this structure is shown with a double line enclosing a slightly shorter, almost square area.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Early 20th century historic map shows the structure more as it had been shown on the Tithe Map. Nearby 'Smithy' label may suggest a new use for part of the building.


Walpole, C., 2017, A Village Rector Remembers. Belstone between 1906 and 1927 Part Three, 26 (Article in Serial). SDV360890.

Reverend Milner recalls a previous incumbent (Reverend Buckworth) moved to The Barton in 1883, as the Old Rectory was unsuitable.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

'The Barton' is depicted on the modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital. Belstone 198.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #80383 ]
SDV360890Article in Serial: Walpole, C.. 2017. A Village Rector Remembers. Belstone between 1906 and 1927 Part Three. Dartmoor Magazine. Digital. 26.

Associated Monuments

MDV121153Related to: Hillside and adjoining cottage, Belstone (Building)
MDV121167Related to: Milner's Rectory, Belstone (Building)
MDV18051Related to: Old Rectory Farmhouse, Belstone (Building)
MDV33458Related to: Perrymans Cottage, Belstone (Building)
MDV6872Related to: St Mary's Parish Church, Belstone (Building)
MDV118536Related to: The Tors Hotel, Belstone (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 27 2018 4:39PM