HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV121157
Name:Row of cottages south-east of Church, Belstone

Summary

These buildings date to the early 20th century, based on cartographic evidence. Partially depicted on the 1905-7 historic map, they appear to have been built piecemeal; the terrace as it appears now (2018) is only shown complete by the 1930s historic map.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 619 934
Map Sheet:SX69SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBelstone
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBELSTONE

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • TERRACE (Built, XIX to XX - 1899 AD to 1930 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

No cottages shown on the late 19th century historic map, which depicts the Parish Garden.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Early 20th century historic map shows a pair of cottages at the south-western end of the green, both with gardens, then a gap, with a slightly larger dwelling with it's own garden at the north-eastern end.


Ordnance Survey, 1930 - 1939, Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV336668.

This map shows a row of four cottages on the site; the gap seen on the early 20th century map appears to have been infilled with another cottage and that on the south-western end may have been extended.


Walpole, C., 2017, A Village Rector Remembers. Belstone between 1906 and 1927 Part Three (Article in Serial). SDV360890.

The Reverend Herbert Wilson Milner lived in Green Vale for 3 and a half years when he and his wife first arrived in the village. He discusses in his 1927 writings about its convenience; he had some steps made on each side of the wall and could walk into church without going through the village at all. The land on which the houses are built (the south border of the churchyard), used to be known as the Parish Garden, and were let for 10/- per year by the Parish, although later sold for houses


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

'Green Lodge', 'Moor Cottage', 'Green Vale' and 'Moor Hall' are depicted on the modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336668Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1930 - 1939. Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #80391 ]
SDV360890Article in Serial: Walpole, C.. 2017. A Village Rector Remembers. Belstone between 1906 and 1927 Part Three. Dartmoor Magazine. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV6872Related to: St Mary's Parish Church, Belstone (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 27 2018 2:22PM