HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV12138
Name:Easton Barton Farmhouse, Morchard Bishop

Summary

A large high quality farmhouse dating to the early to mid 16th century, with later 16th and 17th century improvements and extensions.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 744 066
Map Sheet:SS70NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishMorchard Bishop
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishMORCHARD BISHOP

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS70NW/9
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Built, XVI to XVII - 1501 AD to 1700 AD (Between))

Full description

Unknown, Unknown (Migrated Record). SDV1416.

Architectectural drawings of easton barton made by a. W. Everett (undated, c.1930/60) are in devon record office (dro).


HULLAND 1982, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV41689.

Vis=survey record deposited in westcountry studies library (hulland 1982).


DOE, 1959, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV47366.

Easton barton. A late medieval house of rubble and cob, much less altered than is usual. Internally altered in 17th century and later. L-shaped in plan. The collar braced roof of a hall may be seen. Rubble and cob with tile roofs. Stone stacks, one lateral. Stone mullioned windows. Stone newel staircase. Hall has large oriel recess with small rooms above which may have been a chapel. The solar and kitchen wings have been much altered (doe, 1959).


ALCOCK, CITING C.HULLAND, M.W.BARLEY, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV47368.

Jointed cruck in main house, and another in the wing recorded (alcock, citing c. Hulland, m. W. Barley).


DOE, 1985, Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV47372.

Vis=easton barton farmhouse (formerly listed as easton barton old farmhouse (west end east). Medieval origins, early or mid c16 with later c16 and c17 improvements and extensions. Main block of crudely squared blocks of mudstone and volcanic trap roughly laid to courses, wings of mudstone and trap rubble and the east wing including a section of plastered cob on rubble footings; stone stacks some topped with c20 brick; late c19 orange-red tile roofs, corrugated iron to rear of east wing. Main block faces north. Good interior. Hall well preserved. Passage includes a granite arched doorway. Ground floor of bay has late c17 moulded plaster cornice. Roof structural features. See doe list for full details (doe, 1985).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV47373.

Osa=ss70nw4.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV47374.

Doe/hhr/crediton r. D. Devon/(sept 1959)19.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV47375.

Dro=3116z/21.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV47376.

Alcock, n. W. /cruck construction(cba res rep 42)/(1981)110.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV47377.

Des=hulland, c. /survey record/(1976)plan/in parish file.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV47378.

Des=hulland, c. /list of historic houses/(1982)/in smr.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV47379.

Gover, j. E. B. + mawer, a. + stenton, f. M. /the place-names of devon/(1931)409.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV47380.

Doe/hhr:morchard bishop(4/11/1985)65-66.


HULLAND, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV6435.

Vis=1/1/1976 (hulland) three room cross plan with two cross passages. Stone door frames of c.1500 in one cross passage. Hall has smart coffered c.1500 ceiling and two fine mullion and transom windows. Newel stairs. So called chapel room on first floor has small ecclesiastical style windows. Roof has jointed crucks, cranked collar, arch bracing but no smoke blackening. Extension to south of east block looks externally 17th century but contains smoke stained jointed crucks. House is dated to c.1500 but smoke staining in extension may represent fragment of earlier house or possibly a detached kitchen.


Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1931, The Place-Names of Devon: Part One (Monograph). SDV1312.

Vis=documented in 1238,1281 and 1333 (mawer et al).


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, 1250246 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

Easton Barton Farmhouse. Large farmhouse of gentry quality. Medieval origins, early or mid C16 with later C16 and C17 improvements and extensions. Main block of crudely squared blocks of mudstone and volcanic trap roughly laid to courses, wings of mudstone and trap rubble and the east wing including a section of plastered cob on rubble footings; stone stacks some topped with C20 brick; late C19 orange-red tile roofs, corrugated iron to rear of east wing. Main block facing north comprise the hall and through passage, the west crosswing at the upper end projects forward and rear and east (left) service crosswing on lower side of passage projects to rear only. Projecting newel stair turret to right of front in angle between hall and west wing and rear bay projection also in angle between hall and west wing. Hall has rear projecting lateral stack, west wing has outer lateral stack towards rear and east wing has small projecting stack on front end and an axial kitchen stack (now disused). 2 storeys throughout. Irregular main (north-facing) front. 2-window front to hall with early-mid C16 passage doorway at left end. It is a 2-centred granite arch with a moulded surround, broach stops and a volcanic hoodmould. The 2 ground floor hall windows are contemporary. Both are similar, tall, built of granite with moulded volcanic stone hoods and relieving arches over. Single light left window has central transom, round-headed lights, with sunken spandrels, hollow moulded surround and reveal. 2-light right window similar but lower lights are square-headed. Single C20 casement to first floor. To right newel stair turret is 3-sided in angle of wings and includes small granite lights with flat arched, almost round, heads and iron stanchions and saddle bars. West wing at right end has C20 door and casements without glazing bars under C20 concrete lintels. Front end of east wing is blind and is built of cob on rubble footings. Roof of hall includes bands of fish scale and is carried down over newel stair turret. West wing has plain red tile and is hipped. On left side of hall roof steps down to east wing which is also plain red tile and hipped. Outer side of east wing is in 2 sections. The cob and rubble front section to right has a C20 casement with glazing bars on each floor and includes some pilaster buttressing of uncertain function. Rear (left hand) section of rubble includes single C20 window on each floor but shows blocking of 2 more first floor windows. Roof on lower level is corrugated iron. Rear south elevation of hall in similar style to front. Similar early-mid C16 granite arched door to rear of passage on right (now within a C20 outshot of east wing). Large projecting hall stack in centre has original tall stone shaft. Projecting 2-storey bay to left of stack has its own pitched roof parallel to hall. Hall and front of bay have granite 2-light mullion-and-central-transom windows identical to those on front and both first floor windows are C20 casements. Gable end of oriel has small early-mid C16 windows on each floor; a ground floor granite single light with ogee head and sunken spandrels, and first floor plain oak single light with cinque-foil head, some curious breaks in masonry of hall may indicate survival of late medieval fabric. End of west wing to left has C20 pentice roof across front, C20 casements and door. Roof hipped. East wing has C20 door and loading hatch in gable end. Good interior but access not possible at time of survey. Nevertheless several features are known to exist. The hall is particularly well-preserved. Passage includes a granite arched doorway. Roof of side-pegged jointed cruck trusses with cambered collars and chamfered arch braces. It is not smoke-blackened. Stone newel stair. Hall has 6-panel intersecting beam ceiling with moulded edges. It is possible that hall floored from beginning since the windows fit and roof relatively plain. Bay is said to have housed a first floor chapel. Ground floor of bay has late C17 moulded plaster cornice. Jointed crucks are also reported from an unspecified wing. According to a circa 1930 plan made by A W Everett (now in NMR) east wing houses massive kitchen fireplace. A high quality house with an unusually well-preserved hall. Very little is known of its history.
Date first listed: 26th August 1965

Sources / Further Reading

SDV1312Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. A5 Hardback.
SDV1416Migrated Record: Unknown. Unknown. Devon Record Office Collection. Unknown.
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1250246.
SDV41689Migrated Record: HULLAND 1982.
SDV47366Migrated Record: DOE, 1959.
SDV47368Migrated Record: ALCOCK, CITING C.HULLAND, M.W.BARLEY.
SDV47372Report - Survey: DOE, 1985.
SDV47373Migrated Record:
SDV47374Migrated Record:
SDV47375Migrated Record:
SDV47376Migrated Record:
SDV47377Migrated Record:
SDV47378Migrated Record:
SDV47379Migrated Record:
SDV47380Migrated Record:
SDV6435Migrated Record: HULLAND.

Associated Monuments

MDV119014Part of: Easton Barton Farm, Morchard Bishop (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Apr 20 2017 11:49AM