HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV12144
Name:Landsend Barton Farmhouse, Colebrooke

Summary

Farmhouse originally built in the early 16th century with later 16th and 17th century improvements. It was refurbished and much altered in 1976 when the thatch was replaced in slate and the interior rearranged.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 743 001
Map Sheet:SS70SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishColebrooke
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCOLEBROOKE

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS70SW/19
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Built, XVI to XVII - 1501 AD to 1700 AD (Between))

Full description

HULLAND 1982, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV41689.

Vis=full survey record deposited in westcountry studies library (hulland 1982).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV45239.

Landsend barton.


FORMERLY THATCH, Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV45248.

Vis=farmhouse. Early c16 with later c16 and c17 improvements; thoroughly refurbished and much-altered in 1976. Plastered cob on rubble footings; stone rubble stacks with 1976 brick tops; 1976 slate roof (formerly thatch).


PROBABLY LATE C16-EARLY C17, Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV45250.

Vis=interior was rearranged in 1976 when an oak plank-and-muntin screen and all ceiling beams removed. The only early feature exposed on ground floor is the large c17 granite and volcanic stone fireplace with soffit-chamfered oak lintel in supposed inner room. Other early features may be hidden behind later plaster. The early roof however does survive, and shows work of different c16 and c17 builds. Although the feet of the trusses are boxed in the earlier trusses are almost certainly jointed crucks. The earliest truss is the northern hall truss which has a shaped and soffit-chamfered collar rising in the centre. Below are slots for removed arch braces. The truss appears to have created a most unusual ogee arch. To the south, a possibly later hall truss, has a simple straight collar and a similar truss further south appears to have secondary infill. The roof structure is thoroughly sooted indicating that the original house was open to the roof, heated by an open hearth fire and probably divided by low partition screens. North of the ogee truss is a secondary (probably late c16-early c17) framed crosswall and beyond (north) a c17 a-frame truss with pegged lap-joined collar. Roof of crosswing inaccessible.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV45253.

Osa=ss70sw9.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV45254.

Hoskins, w. G. /new survey of england, devon/(1954)372.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV45255.

Doe/hhr:crediton rd/(sept 1959)10.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV45256.

Hulland, c. /description of 1976 survey given by phone/(19/4/1982).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV45257.

Timms, s. /site visit (14/4/1976) as above and photographs in conservation section collection.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV45258.

Alcock, n. W. /cruck construction(cba res rep 42)/(1981)109.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV45259.

Des=hulland, c. /list of historic houses/(1982)/in smr.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV45260.

Gover, j. E. B. + mawer, a. + stenton, f. M. /the place-names of devon/(1931)404.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV45261.

Doe/hhr:colebrooke/(20/11/1986)47.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV45262.

Des=os 25"(1880s)map.


Alcock, N. W., Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57461.

Vis=jointed cruck recorded at landsend barton (alcock).


HULLAND, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV6435.

Vis=1/1/1976 (hulland). Main range, which runs north-south, retains medieval roof structure of four pairs of jointed crucks with threaded purlins and type "e" apex. The first three trusses from south end have chamfered collars which are mortice and tenoned into principals. Collar no.3 from south has elongated ogee moulding in angle with principal. No arch bracing or wind braces. Purlins are chamfered with draw stops as they meet principals. Roof timbers, which are in good condition are smoke blackened as is the base of the thatch. Hipped south end is said to have wattle thatching base which is a rare survival. Some common rafters retain withy ties. The interior of the house is being modernised and colour slides were taken of the screen which was subsequently removed. Building is an open hall medieval house which may have been ceiled over in early 16th century. A cross wing running east from north end of main range is later, probably 17th century (hulland).


SOUTH, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV65662.

Vis=originally a 3-room-and-through-passage plan house facing east, probably with service room at left (south) end. C17 service crosswing on right (north) end projecting forward. Right end room, the supposed inner room, has end stack and left end room has front lateral stack. Hall stack demolished. Crosswing has front end stack.2 storeys. Irregular 3-window front of 1976 casements with glazing bars and contemporary doors, the main door left of centre and french windows rear left end. Similar 1-window front on inner side of crosswing. Main block roof hipped to left and crosswing is gable-ended.


MHLG, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV131769.

Vis=estimated -/-/1959 (mhlg) probably 17th century. Grade iii.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV148.

Shown as 'landsend remains of a mansion' on os 25" (1880s) map with the remains of the chapel to the south (os).


Timms, S. C., Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV2.

Vis=14/4/1982 (timms). Farmhouse is two-storey l-shaped building of cob and stone with thatched roof. Partially rendered brick stacks. Front (east) elevation has been renovated with new windows and door. Interior comprehensively modernised in 1976. First floor ceiling in main range has been lowered. Roof structure as seen by hulland in 1976. A fifth truss at north end of main range has notched collar and is cruder. Roof has been altered at this point. Two trusses have remains of infilling above collars. There is a proposal to replace thatch with slate. Cross wing at north not accessible. To east is a group of stone and brick outbuildings. Because of the surviving medieval roof structure, the farmhouse should be considered for upgrading to grade ii (timms).


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, Untitled Source (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV24.

Vis=13/3/1970 (os) the farm building has been greatly renovated. Nothing to indicate site of chapel, nor is there any reused material within the outbuildings (os).


Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV326931.

Vis=from right front corner of crosswing a plastered cob wall with slate coping extends eastwards along right side of front garden. It includes a high c20 doorway with gabled and slate roof. It also includes a series of 5 bee boles.(doe).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV335.

Vis=estimated -/-/1953 (hoskins) was formerly a mansion and had a medieval chapel.


Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1931, The Place-Names of Devon: Part One (Monograph). SDV1312.

Vis=documented in 1406 and 1473 (mawer et al).


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, 1171043 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

Landsend Barton Farmhouse including cob wall adjoining to east.
Farmhouse. Early C16 with later C16 and C17 improvements; thoroughly refurbished and much-altered in 1976. Plastered cob on rubble footings; stone rubble stacks with 1976 brick tops; 1976 slate roof (formerly thatch). Originally a 3-room-and-through-passage plan house facing east, probably with service room at left (south) end. C17 service crosswing on right (north) end projecting forward. Right end room, the supposed inner room, has end stack and left end room has front lateral stack. Hall stack demolished. Crosswing has front end stack. 2 storeys. Irregular 3-window front of 1976 casements with glazing bars and contemporary doors, the main door left of centre and French windows rear left end. Similar 1-window front on inner side of crosswing. Main block roof hipped to left and crosswing is gable-ended. Interior was rearranged in 1976 when an oak plank-and-muntin screen and all ceiling beams removed. The only early feature exposed on ground floor is the large C17 granite and volcanic stone fireplace with soffit-chamfered oak lintel in supposed inner room. Other early features may be hidden behind later plaster. The early roof however does survive, and shows work of different C16 and C17 builds. Although the feet of the trusses are boxed in the earlier trusses are almost certainly jointed crucks. The earliest truss is the northern hall truss which has a shaped and soffit-chamfered collar rising in the centre. Below are slots for removed arch braces. The truss appears to have created a most unusual ogee arch. To tie south, a possibly later hall truss, has a simple straight collar and a similar truss further south appears to have secondary infill. The roof structure is thoroughly sooted indicating that the original house was open to the roof, heated by an open hearth fire and probably divided by low partition screens. North of the ogee truss is a secondary (probably late cl6-early C17) framed crosswall and beyond (north) a C17 A-frame truss with pegged lap-joined collar. Roof oforceswing inaccessible. From right front corner of crosswing a plastered cob wall with slate coping extends eastwards along right side of front garden. It includes a high C20 doorway with gabled and slate roof. It also includes a series of 5 bee boles.
Date first listed: 20th November 1986

Sources / Further Reading

SDV1312Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. A5 Hardback.
SDV131769Migrated Record: MHLG.
SDV148Migrated Record:
SDV2Report - Survey: Timms, S. C..
SDV24Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV326931Report - Survey: Department of Environment.
SDV335Migrated Record:
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1171043.
SDV41689Migrated Record: HULLAND 1982.
SDV45239Migrated Record:
SDV45248Report - Survey: FORMERLY THATCH.
SDV45250Report - Survey: PROBABLY LATE C16-EARLY C17.
SDV45253Migrated Record:
SDV45254Migrated Record:
SDV45255Migrated Record:
SDV45256Migrated Record:
SDV45257Migrated Record:
SDV45258Migrated Record:
SDV45259Migrated Record:
SDV45260Migrated Record:
SDV45261Migrated Record:
SDV45262Migrated Record:
SDV57461Migrated Record: Alcock, N. W..
SDV6435Migrated Record: HULLAND.
SDV65662Migrated Record: SOUTH.

Associated Monuments

MDV119158Part of: Landsend Barton, Colebrooke (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 19 2017 10:06AM