HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV121452
Name:23 Church Street (The Old Bakehouse), South Brent

Summary

Adjoining 23a (to the rear), this served as a bakehouse at the time of the Tithe Map (1843) and continued in use as such until the early 20th century. It may have served as a dwelling house prior to its use as a bakehouse and includes a large oven and some other old features.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 697 601
Map Sheet:SX66SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSouth Brent
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH BRENT

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (Built, XVI to XVIII - 1600 AD? to 1799 AD (Between))
  • BAKEHOUSE (Constructed, XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

Depicted on the Tithe Map.


Robinson, R., 1977-1979, South Brent Parish Checklist Worksheets, pages 760-763 of 821 (Worksheet). SDV340722.

SX69746016 No. 23 ‘The Old Bakehouse’, Church Street
The building directly to the rear of 23a (B on Robinson’s plan) is designated as ‘Bakehouse etc.’ on the Tithe Map but may have been a dwelling house at an earlier period. It possesses a large chimney breast (rebuilt because in a dangerous condition) which carried a large square chimney of stone (now removed). This was in the east wall. There is a drop in level roughly halfway along its length. The cross wall at this point was found during renovations to consist of stone up to head height and then timber framing with cob in-filling. The ceiling is unusually high and may have been raised. The beams although chamfered are possibly replacements and not oak. A supporting oak beam in the cross wall has a collar. Ceiling beams at the south end show massive roof trusses.
(C on plan). The bakehouse oven opens into the west wall of this room and is described below. It would appear that this wall was rebuilt in brick to carry the oven and flue, and the body of the oven projects into the space C. This is roofed and the top of the oven was found to be covered with a thick layer of earth and sand, possibly for insulation. From the space C a door high in the north wall of room B gives access to what used to be a flour loft. This has a fairly recent roof of rough timbers resting on an older oak wall plate.
(D on plan). This rectangular structure has walls part stone and part cob. The latter sections have been replaced by breeze block. There is no trace of a hearth and the roof is modern but there is one very old window on the south wall, looking into space C. This measures about 2.5 feet square and is of pegged oak. The north face has decorative moulding to the surround.
Oven. It is not known whether this is the oven that was present in 1843 when the premise was a bakehouse. There is an inscribed stone set into the brick wall above reading – ‘W.H. Coles. Oven Builder. Mutley, Plymouth’. There is an iron lintel to the oven door with raised lettering (nearly obscured by age and paint): ‘John Ford Plymouth’. The oven door is about 2 foot by 1 foot and gives access to a ? cavity 9 feet 6 inches deep 8 feet 6 inches wide and 18 inches high (owner’s measurements). It is roofed with a very shall almost flat brick arch. The flue enters on the right. It is described (by the owner) as a ‘side flue coal/coke fired oven’. Outside the door a semi-circular ? vent with cast iron rim leads back to the main flue. It opens into the roof of the small access passage to the oven door. The oven floor is of laid tiles measuring 11 by 12 inches.
Below is a proving oven with sliding iron racks (two in number). This is the same depth as the oven but only about 18 inches wide.
It is believed this oven was last in use in the early years of this century. Occupant of number 26 Church Street, who is around 80 years old, can remember being given candied peel from the window of room B opening into the courtyard to the west; this window has a splayed opening and oak lintel (as has the second in B looking into the courtyard).


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Depicted on the modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV340722Worksheet: Robinson, R.. 1977-1979. South Brent Parish Checklist Worksheets. South Brent Parish Checklist. Worksheet. pages 760-763 of 821.
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #110758 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV121429Related to: 12 Church Street, South Brent (Building)
MDV121446Related to: 22 Church Street and 1-4 Sunnyside (Building)
MDV121459Related to: Building to the rear of 24-26 Church Street, South Brent (Building)
MDV121453Related to: Structure in garden, 23 Church Street (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 20 2018 4:14PM