HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV121548
Name:Meadow Cottage, Harbourneford

Summary

A two-room plan farmhouse which does not appear to have had a cross passage that may have late medieval origins. Documentary sources dated 1747 and 1810 record the farm / farmhouse. 19th century extension on west side at right angles. Late 1970s extension on the eastern end of the cottage.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 717 622
Map Sheet:SX76SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSouth Brent
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH BRENT

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Built, Late Medieval - 1401 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

The 1843 Tithe Apportionment lists ‘Knowling’s Tenement. 2428: Dwelling house, other buildings.’


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Small roughly square house shown on the late 19th century historic map.


Robinson, R., 1977-1979, South Brent Parish Checklist Worksheets, Page 818-821 of 821 (Worksheet). SDV340722.

SX71726230 Meadow Cottage, Harbourneford
A two-room plan farmhouse which does not appear to have had a cross passage (unless the east end, including shippon and cross passage have demolished at some point).
Site: facing south parallel to the road with long axis down slope.
Plan: two-room with chimney breast in east gable. 19th century extension on west side at right angles.
Materials: slate rubble with dressed granite quoins. Slate roof.
Features: chimney breast in east gable. Granite side walls to hearth, oak lintel with bar stops. One main beam is chamfered but not stopped, one (over fireplace) with shouldered stop at the northern end, cut off beyond chimney breast at south end. Third beam has slot for timber screen, this is not present and is presumably replaced by thin stone wall 0.5 metres to west.
North wall has a small window opening with oak lintel, now blocked. This is of the same size and proportion as an upstairs window, also in the north wall, which retains its two-light round headed oak frame. This is reported to have had traces of leading when discovered (Marley Map Book, Devon Record Office). The window opening above the one on the ground floor, in the north wall, has presumably been destroyed in making a way through to the first floor room over the 19th century extension to the north. Roof tiles not original. Entry with massive granite quoins to north of chimney breast. Sketch of window in the upper north floor included, width 0.50 metres, height 0.70 metres. There are two small holes in the left side possibly for shutters.
During the digging of trenches for foundations for an extension on the east end in 1977 a watch was kept for any wall footings but none were seen. The house footings were seen to be only about 0.30 metres deep.
The house is shown on both the Marley Map Book of 1810 and the Tithe Apportionment of 1843.
Marley Map Book: ‘Veale’s Tenement. 96. House, barn, garden etc.’
(The barn is shown as a small building south-east of the house against the road. One of its walls may be incorporated in the present boundary wall. A fragment of wall seen during trench digging lay between this building position and the front line of the house and is unaccounted for; it could not have been a shippon extension east from the main house).
The land holding, 41 acres, attached to the house lay actively east of Harbourne (in Dean Prior parish) except for ’97 Back Court’. This is the explanation of the holdings apparent lack of land in the Tithe Apportionment for South Brent parish.
Tithe Apportionment: ‘Knowling’s Tenement. 2428: Dwelling house, other buildings.’ By this date the ‘back court’ of 1810 has become 2432: ‘Garden’ and 2430: ‘Orchard’ immediately behind the house. The house is shown as a very long rectangle; either the shippon end has gone or it is an inaccurate drawing. 2426 adjoining has gone completely but a possible fireplace remains in a garden wall.
Land Tax record from 1747 records - ‘Mr John Knowling for Harbortonford’ (Devon Record Office).


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

'Meadow Cottage' is depicted on the modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV340722Worksheet: Robinson, R.. 1977-1979. South Brent Parish Checklist Worksheets. South Brent Parish Checklist. Worksheet. Page 818-821 of 821.
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #110879 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV37999Related to: Courtledge Cottage, South Brent (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 23 2018 3:43PM