HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV121567
Name:The Post Office, South Brent

Summary

Located on the corner of Fore Street and Station Road, this building dates to at least the early-mid 19th century and is depicted on the Tithe Map as a dwelling and adjoining workshop. By the late 19th / early 20th century it was serving as the Post Office for the village. Now dwellings, it has been extensively altered over the years. Early 20th century photographs show the upper half was slate hung. This was later removed sometime before the 1970s checklist visit. Later alteration post-2000 saw new slates hung on this, the adjoining building to the right and a new addition, adjoining to the left (on Station Street). No longer a Post Office.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 698 601
Map Sheet:SX66SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSouth Brent
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH BRENT

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (Built, XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1843 AD (Between))
  • WORKSHOP (Built, XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1843 AD (Between))
  • POST OFFICE (Altered, XIX to XX - 1850 AD? to 1910 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

2931: ‘Dwelling house’ and 2931: ‘Workshop’, both owned by Mildred Andrews, occupied by Richard Heath.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The late 19th century historic map shows the 'Post Office' label on the property directly adjacent. The relationship between these buildings is slightly unclear.


Robinson, R., 1977-1979, South Brent Parish Checklist Worksheets, page 782-3 of 821 (Worksheet). SDV340722.

SX69816014 South Brent Post Office, Fore Street
This building is tall and narrow, three storey, and of an odd shape, curved to fit the line of the street. It rather resembles the possible barracks on the opposite corner of Fore Street (see separate worksheet).
It is rendered, probably stone built with an asymmetrical single span slate roof. The ground floor windows are a modern insertion, those on the first floor are sash windows and the small window high up on the third floor is a casement. The building was present on the 1843 Tithe Map (see source), when it consisted of two separate premises, one a workshop. Richard Heath is listed as a carpenter in Whites Directory, 1850.
There is a blocked doorway that probably represents the entrance to the dwelling house.


Wall, G., 2005, The Book of South Brent. Another Portrait of a Dartmoor Community, 52, 114, photographs (Monograph). SDV360849.

Early 19th century images of the Post Office show it to have been slate hung above the ground floor windows, although this didn't extend to the dwelling on the right. The bottom half of the building appears stone built. A door can be seen between the large ground floor sash windows. Roof appears in very poor state of repair.
Later image dated 2000 shows the building after some alterations; it is now fully rendered and the doorway blocked. Second window at third floor level inserted by this time; these appear to be the windows seen on the 2016 Streetview image. A gap can be seen in these images at the left end of the building; this modern structure seems to be added at the time the building is modernised and new slate hanging added.


Google, 2018, Google Streetview (Website). SDV360654.

This property is no longer a post office and has been drastically altered since the early 20th century. Interestingly, it is now again slate hung on the upper half of the building. This extends to the former dwelling on the right and modern building to the left.
A post box is set in the ground floor window on the left. All the windows are modern replacements, with a third added on the third floor to match the original casement referred to by Robinson. No sign of the blocked doorway, which presumably was the on between the main windows shown in images in the Book of South Brent.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Marked on the modern mapping as 2 Station Road, with the label for Post Office on the property directly adjacent to the north on Station road which is a modern addition built sometime after 2000.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV340722Worksheet: Robinson, R.. 1977-1979. South Brent Parish Checklist Worksheets. South Brent Parish Checklist. Worksheet. page 782-3 of 821.
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV360654Website: Google. 2018. Google Streetview. http://maps.google.co.uk. Website.
SDV360849Monograph: Wall, G.. 2005. The Book of South Brent. Another Portrait of a Dartmoor Community. The Book of South Brent. Another Portrait of a Dartmoor Community. Hardback Volume. 52, 114, photographs.

Associated Monuments

MDV121550Related to: 1-2 Fore Street, South Brent (Building)
MDV121602Related to: 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8 Station Road, South Brent (Building)
MDV121553Related to: 3-4 Fore Street, South Brent (Building)
MDV121599Related to: 4 Station Road, South Brent (Building)
MDV121792Related to: Market House, South Brent (Building)
MDV13315Related to: The former Anchor Inn, South Brent (Building)
MDV121562Related to: The Old Post Office, South Brent (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Apr 6 2018 11:59AM