HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV121569
Name:The old Schoolhouse, South Brent

Summary

No longer extant, this used to lie behind Town Farm and is described in the 1970s parish checklist as a roofless ruin. Depicted on the Tithe Map, it was a free school replaced when the Church school was opened in 1876.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 698 600
Map Sheet:SX66SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSouth Brent
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH BRENT

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SCHOOL HOUSE (Built, XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD? to 1843 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

3125: ‘Schoolhouse’ owners and occupiers Churchwardens of South Brent.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Building is shown on the late 19th century historic map but the farmhouse has been extended to the rear and now appears to adjoin it.


Robinson, R., 1977-1979, South Brent Parish Checklist Worksheets, page 784-5 of 821 (Worksheet). SDV340722.

SX69786007 Old Schoolhouse
This building, now a roofless ruin, lies behind Town Farm. The building was present on the 1843 Tithe Map (see source). It is presumably the building that was run as a school as a result of various educational charities administered by the Feoffees of South Brent. These are well documented in their papers (due to be transferred to the Devon Record Office in 1980).
The walls still stand to a height of a few feet, built mainly of granite river boulders.
(Robinson incudes some further information of the charities in 18th and 19th centuries).


Wall, G., 2005, The Book of South Brent. Another Portrait of a Dartmoor Community, 27 (Monograph). SDV360849.

Provision for school education in South Brent has existed since the death of John Petre who left £70 income from his property in Cornworthy. In 1660 the first mention of a school master is recorded. Further details of early teachers given through the 18th centuries and by 1820 Brent has a dame-school and another 'private' fee-paying school for those who could afford it (author does not specify locations of these).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV340722Worksheet: Robinson, R.. 1977-1979. South Brent Parish Checklist Worksheets. South Brent Parish Checklist. Worksheet. page 784-5 of 821.
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV360849Monograph: Wall, G.. 2005. The Book of South Brent. Another Portrait of a Dartmoor Community. The Book of South Brent. Another Portrait of a Dartmoor Community. Hardback Volume. 27.

Associated Monuments

MDV121553Related to: 3-4 Fore Street, South Brent (Building)
MDV47672Related to: The old Board School (now Community Centre), South Brent (Building)
MDV13317Related to: The Packhorse Hotel, South Brent (Monument)
MDV121554Related to: Town Farm House, South Brent (Building)
MDV76888Related to: Town Farm, South Brent (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Apr 6 2018 12:39PM