HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV121790
Name:Drill yard, South Brent

Summary

There is a very strong local tradition of a drill yard in this area. It is bounded by a solidly-built wall, mainly of granite river boulders, about 10-12 feet high, and by two blocks of buildings; a barn (now converted to dwelling house) at the east end and a range of dwellings at the west corner. Both are of a curious character (see related records) and could be connected with the drill yard as stables and barracks respectively. What is now ‘Totnes Road’, is called ‘Barracks Road’ on the 1843 Tithe Apportionment.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 698 600
Map Sheet:SX66SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSouth Brent
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH BRENT

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • TRAINING AREA (XVIII to XIX - 1751 AD? to 1843 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

Tithe Map (1843) records the triangular area in the tip of the triangle as 3136: 'Dwelling house, other buildings', large area to the south-east is 3137: 'Garden', with 3139 ('Barn') at the edge. All owned by George Luscombe, occupier William Windeat.


Robinson, R., 1977-1979, South Brent Parish Checklist Worksheets, Page 805-6 of 821 (Worksheet). SDV340722.

SX69866007 Drill yard, corner of Plymouth Road and Totnes Road (formerly Barrack Street)
There is a very strong local tradition of a drill yard in this area. It is bounded by a solidly-built wall, mainly of granite river boulders, about 10-12 feet high, and by two blocks of buildings; a barn (now converted to dwelling house) at the east end and a range of dwellings at the west corner. Both are of a curious character (see related records) and could be connected with the drill yard as stables and barracks respectively. What is now ‘Totnes Road’, is called ‘Barracks Road’ on the 1843 Tithe Apportionment.
The area is roughly triangular maximum length about 60 metres, maximum width about 30 metres. Two late 19th century houses have been built in part of the space, facing onto Totnes Road (Nos. 3 and 4). Previously the Tithe Map shows a long narrow line of barn or similar structure along this side. This could have been stabling. The wall on this side has been raised by about 0.45 metres at some point.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV340722Worksheet: Robinson, R.. 1977-1979. South Brent Parish Checklist Worksheets. South Brent Parish Checklist. Worksheet. Page 805-6 of 821.
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV121572Related to: 2, 3 and 3 Plymouth Road, South Brent (Building)
MDV114814Related to: 3-4 Totnes Road, South Brent (Building)
MDV104169Related to: 5 Totnes Road, South Brent (Building)
MDV114807Related to: Bowling House, South Brent (Building)
MDV47672Related to: The old Board School (now Community Centre), South Brent (Building)
MDV13317Related to: The Packhorse Hotel, South Brent (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Apr 6 2018 11:51AM