HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV121792
Name:Market House, South Brent

Summary

No longer extant, this building stood in the centre of the village and is marked on the 1843 Tithe Map. Thought to have been demolished sometime in the early 20th century; not shown in images dating to around 1910.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 697 601
Map Sheet:SX66SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSouth Brent
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH BRENT

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MARKET HOUSE (Built, XVIII to XIX - 1751 AD? to 1843 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

Plot 2936; ‘Market House’, owner and occupier John Elliott.


Robinson, R., 1977-1979, South Brent Parish Checklist Worksheets, Page 807 of 821 (Worksheet). SDV340722.

SX69786013 The Market House, South Brent
The Market House stood in the centre of the village close to the Anchor Hotel. It is shown on the 1843 Tithe Apportionment (see source). The owner and occupier are marked as John Elliott; the Lord of the Manor. Adjacent, also marked as 2936 is recorded as ‘Cattle Pound’. The building was finally demolished this century.
It stood on pillar, one of which (the base thereof) now stands by the south gate of the churchyard (see separate worksheet). The Toll board giving details of dues payable at the markets was retained and is now nearby on The Toll House.
An octagonal granite cross against the building is described by William Crossing (see separate worksheet). A fragment of it may survive as a gatepost.
In 1904 the building was described as ‘in ruins’ by local Gregory Wall so a date soon after this os probably correct for its demolition.


Wall, G., 2005, The Book of South Brent. Another Portrait of a Dartmoor Community, 18-19, 24, 53-55 (Monograph). SDV360849.

South Brent became a market town by the 14th century, with the support of the Abbey of Buckfast and by 1350 King Edward III (1327-77) granted a royal charter to Abbot Philip Beaumont of Buckfast to hold a three-day Michaelmas Fair on Brentedoune (between the village and Brent Hill).
In Tudor times, Cheape House stood at the top end of Church Street. It stood on pillars and had an open ground floor. It is likely that markets and village trading went on around this building.
Details of the fairs held at Brent between 1850 and 1950 given. The Cheape House was demolished in the early 20th century; photographs dated to around 1910 show it has been demolished by this time (the authors comment to Robinson in the late 1970s/early 1980s indiactes it was in ruins around 1904).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV340722Worksheet: Robinson, R.. 1977-1979. South Brent Parish Checklist Worksheets. South Brent Parish Checklist. Worksheet. Page 807 of 821.
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital. [Mapped feature: #111171 ]
SDV360849Monograph: Wall, G.. 2005. The Book of South Brent. Another Portrait of a Dartmoor Community. The Book of South Brent. Another Portrait of a Dartmoor Community. Hardback Volume. 18-19, 24, 53-55.

Associated Monuments

MDV121412Related to: 1-2 Church Street, South Brent (Building)
MDV121550Related to: 1-2 Fore Street, South Brent (Building)
MDV38028Related to: Former toll house, Church St, South Brent (Building)
MDV13315Related to: The former Anchor Inn, South Brent (Building)
MDV121567Related to: The Post Office, South Brent (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Apr 6 2018 1:28PM