HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV121803
Name:Rose Cottage, Harbourneford

Summary

Now a single dwelling, this building until 1979 was a pair of cottages. Their plan and construction suggest a 19th century date and they were probably built as a pair of estate cottages – very likely by the Carews of Marley House who owned the hamlet for most of the 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 716 622
Map Sheet:SX76SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSouth Brent
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH BRENT

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • ESTATE COTTAGE (Built, XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1843 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

Shown on the Tithe Map as plots 2416 and 2417: 'Harbourneford Cottages.’


Robinson, R., 1977-1979, South Brent Parish Checklist Worksheets, Page 808 of 821 (Worksheet). SDV340722.

SX71666223 Rose Cottage, Harbourneford
Now a single dwelling, this building until 1979 was a pair of cottages. Their plan and construction suggest a 19th century date and they were probably built as a pair of estate cottages – very likely by the Carews of Marley House who owned the hamlet for most of the 19th century. The quality of the masonry very much resembles that of the lodge cottage at the drive gate to Marley House on the east side of the river Harbourne beyond the hamlet. This must have been built before 1827 when the re-alignment of the turnpike road cut across the drive lower down.
Site: south-facing parallel to the road.
Material: neat slate rubble masonry. Slate roof. It appears that the east wall incorporates the west wall of a pre-existing barn that stood in front of Court Gate Farmhouse in 1843 but has been removed since.
Plan: double pile under single span slate roof. Two rooms wide each with front door opening into front room. No communication between halves of building. Internal partition of timber framing with stone filling (thin). Brick arched fireplace at each gable end. Moderately sized square stone chimneys.
Marley Map Book. Bound in 1808 but with some individual maps dated as early as 1790 shows what seems to be this house; difficult to be sure; the small scale and the map drawer’s artistic licence with shapes and proportion makes it difficult to understand. It may be represented by no. 28: House and Garden.
The Tithe Apportionment shows the house clearly as two semi-detached cottages listed with three others as ‘Harbourneford Cottages’. Plot 2416-17 (owner Lady Elizabeth Carew. Occupier Robert Tucker and others).


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Rose Cottage is depicted on the modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV340722Worksheet: Robinson, R.. 1977-1979. South Brent Parish Checklist Worksheets. South Brent Parish Checklist. Worksheet. Page 808 of 821.
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #111188 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV113220Related to: Court Gate Farmstead at Harbourneford, South Brent (Monument)
MDV16125Related to: Harbourneford Manor, South Brent (Monument)
MDV28873Related to: Marley House, Rattery (Building)
MDV13653Related to: Moorlands and Moorland Cottage, South Brent (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Apr 6 2018 2:53PM