HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV122002
Name:Farm buildings at Stowford House, Harford

Summary

A range of buildings dating to the late 18th or early 19th century. A long, narrow range aligned roughly south-west by north-east, depicted on the Tithe Map. A leat supplied the water wheel that powered farm machinery.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 640 570
Map Sheet:SX65NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishHarford
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishHARFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARM BUILDING (Built, XVIII to XIX - 1751 AD? to 1840 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

Long, narrow range of buildings is depicted on the Tithe Map, north-west of the house. One of three ranges of buildings, this is the most northerly and is aligned roughly south-west by north-east. A leat is shown leading to the western end of the building, before running south to a pond. Used to power farm machinery.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

By the later 19th century, the range may have been extended slightly. The leat is no longer shown on the map.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Unchanged from the late 19th century historic map depiction.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Building largely survives into modern times; only a small part of the south-western end is missing.


Waterhouse, R., Unknown, Stowford (Record Office Collection). SDV361111.

In the late 18th - early 19th century, a courtyard of farm buildings was created to the north-west, with water mill re-using earlier leat.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV361111Record Office Collection: Waterhouse, R.. Unknown. Stowford. http://www.devonruralarchive.com/Stowford.html. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV78080Part of: Stowford Farm, Harford (Monument)
MDV122001Related to: Farm buildings at Stowford House, Harford (Building)
MDV2853Related to: Stowford House, Harford (Building)
MDV13080Related to: Water wheel at Stowford farm, Harford (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Apr 23 2018 10:27AM