HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV122032
Name:Carter's Road, Moretonhampstead

Summary

In 1772, the Moretonhampstead Turnpike Trust was responsible for 13 miles of new road between Cherrybrook on Dartmoor and Reedy Gate at Dunsford, where it joined the Exeter Turnpike. This road became known as Carter's Road, after the contractor who built it. The building of the road was violently opposed by Okehampton and Launceston, who feared a loss of trade. Improved in 1814, the route was altered in a number of places between Moretonhampstead and Dunsford.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 715 821
Map Sheet:SX78SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBridford
Civil ParishChagford
Civil ParishDartmoor Forest
Civil ParishDunsford
Civil ParishMoretonhampstead
Civil ParishNorth Bovey
DistrictTeignbridge
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishDUNSFORD
Ecclesiastical ParishLYDFORD
Ecclesiastical ParishMORETONHAMPSTEAD
Ecclesiastical ParishNORTH BOVEY
Ecclesiastical ParishBRIDFORD
Ecclesiastical ParishCHAGFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • TOLL ROAD (Constructed, XVIII to XIX - 1772 AD to 1814 AD (Between))

Full description

Greenwood, C. + Greenwood, J., 1827, Greenwood's Map of Devon (Cartographic). SDV361164.

The original route of the toll road and tollhouses shown on Greenwood's map.


Brown, T., 1961, Tales of a Dartmoor Village, 196, 209 (Article in Serial). SDV238060.

A road running across the moor between Tavistock and Moretonhampstead. The Duke of Bedford's turnpike act of 1772 resulted in the construction of a road across the moor which followed the old track except that instead of heading for Chagford it went past King's Oven to Moretonhampstead. It was known as Carter's Road after the name of the contractor.


Moretonhampstead History Society, 2001-2018, Moretonhampstead History Society (Website). SDV347361.

In 1772 the Moretonhampstead Turnpike Trust was responsible for 13 miles of new road between Cherrybrook on Dartmoor and Reedy Gate at Dunsford, where it joined the Exeter Turnpike. This road became known as Carter's Road, after the contractor who built it. The building of the road was violently opposed by Okehampton and Launceston, who feared a loss of trade.
There were tollhouses at both ends of the town (Moretonhampstead), at Bughead Cross for travellers from Tavistock and at Toll House Cottage, just east of Steps Bridge (for those coming from Exeter). The first line of this road is shown in Greenwood's map of 1827 (which doesn't show the improvements which were made in 1814).
The Moreton to Dunsford section was improved in 1814. Originally passing through Bridford Wood and over several steep hills, it was re-opened in 1815. Moreton diarist, Silvester Treleaven, reports: "a delightful alteration, the high hills are completely avoided and scenes at once new and romantic present themselves for the contemplation of the admiring traveller" (March 1st, 1815). The original road, now Shute Lane, gradually dwindled.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

This road exists into modern times as the B3212 between Dunsford and Two Bridges.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV238060Article in Serial: Brown, T.. 1961. Tales of a Dartmoor Village. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 93. Unknown. 196, 209.
SDV347361Website: Moretonhampstead History Society. 2001-2018. Moretonhampstead History Society. http://www.moretonhampstead.org.uk. Website.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #111582 Where possible the polygon has been aligned to the original route of the road., ]
SDV361164Cartographic: Greenwood, C. + Greenwood, J.. 1827. Greenwood's Map of Devon. 1 inch to 1 mile scale. Unknown.

Associated Monuments

MDV40272Related to: Former Weslyan Chapel, Cross Street, Moretonhampstead (Building)
MDV16974Related to: Tavistock to Moretonhampstead road (Monument)
MDV40284Related to: Toll House, Moretonhampstead (Building)
MDV122031Related to: Tollhouse at Bughead Cross (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 22 2018 2:37PM