HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV1222
Name:The Manor House, Cadeleigh Court

Summary

Former house dating to circa 1700, but possibly a rebuilding of an earlier house. It appears to have been converted to an outbuilding by the time of the 1840 Tithe Map. Now reconverted to a dwelling(s).

Location

Grid Reference:SS 919 074
Map Sheet:SS90NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCadeleigh
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCADELEIGH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS90NW/10
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANOR HOUSE (Built, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1750 AD (Between))
  • OUTBUILDING (XIX to XX - 1801 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

NMR, SS90NW16 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV44412.


Fisher, A., 1902, Sir Simon Leach of Cadeleigh, Kt., 29-37 (Article in Serial). SDV44402.

17th century manor house called Cadeleigh Court, now only farm buildings to the present house, there is sufficient of the old building left to show their character. Over the principal door can be seen the coat of arms. On entering the hall to the right is a large chimney place, a further room beyond, probably the with-drawing room, to the left a small parlour, beyond that the kitchen and another large chimney. At the stairhead on the right the principal bedroom, and through it another one probably two. To the left of the stairs two more bedrooms are entered, one through the other. The deer park surrounded by a high wall, the well with stone steps are still in existence, but the old gardens have disappeared.


Griffith, F. M., 1983, Untitled Source (Photograph). SDV44408.


Unknown, 1983, Untitled Source, 3-6 (Photograph). SDV44407.

Other details: Film 586.


Silvester, R. J. + Richardson, I. J., 1984, The Manor of Cadeleigh near Tiverton, 13-27 (Article in Serial). SDV44404.

Length 33.5m, with some evidence of rebuilding at W end of first floor and in south end wall. Probably originally symmetrical elevation. Two fireplaces on ground floor may be original. Interior partitions probably not original.


1986, GB 2-3, GB 2-3 (Aerial Photograph). SDV44411.


Department of Environment, 1987, Cadeleigh, 47 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV44403.

House. Now in use as an outbuilding at Cadeleigh Court. Circa 1700, possibly a remodelling of an earlier building. Dressed local sandstone brought to course with ashlar dressings; corrugated iron roof, hipped at ends; projecting rear lateral stack with truncated shaft, left end stack and two axial stacks with dismantled shafts. Long single depth range. Four rooms wide on a west/east axis, built on a sloping site with the result that the south elevation is taller than the north. A complex building history. Two storeys. Long, asymmetrical elevation. Five of the ground floor windows retain wooden frames and mullion. See DoE list for full details.


Humphreys, C., 2001, Cadeleigh Court: Archaeological Assessment (Report - Assessment). SDV44405.

A courtyard of farm buildings with Cadeleigh Court on the north side to be converted into 3 dwellings.


Southwest Archaeology, 2005, Cow & Calves Barn, Cadeleigh Court, Devon. Results of a Brief Archaeological Desk-Based Study and Building Survey (Report - Survey). SDV344513.


Parker, R. W., 2005, Untitled Source (Personal Comment). SDV321788.

Copy of a document relating to the Leach family properties in Cadeleigh and Cadbury, found binding a copy of Izaacke's Memorials.


Wakeham, C., 2006, Archaeological Building Survey of Farm Buildings at Cadeleigh Court, Cadeleigh, Devon, 1 (Report - Survey). SDV344514.


Southwest Archaeology, 2006, The 'Old House', Cadeleigh Court, Cadeleigh, Devon (Report - Survey). SDV344523.

The present complex at Cadeleigh Court consists of an 18th century farmhouse to the east of which is a courtyard enclosed by farm buildings, the most northerly of whch appears to be a former domestic building of the 17th/18th century, now converted for use as a barn. This is a two storey building constructed of roughly coursed local sandstone and built across a considerable slope. The north elevation has multiple openings with two former doorways altered to become windows. The external face of the wall has been rebuilt with dressed stone and includes a coat of arms. The south elevation has three openings on both the ground and first floors and an external stack. The west and east elevations are devoid of openings. The roof is of modern construction, hipped at both ends, with a corrugated iron covering. Each floor is divided into four rooms with access to the first floor formerly provided by a winder stair in the south-east corner of the room at the east end of the ground floor adjacent to a substantial fire place with an opening that probably once gave access to an oven, although this space is now occupied by the stair, and a chamfered oak lintel with scroll stops which is probably 17th century in date. The ground floor was cobbled with at least four drains through the south wall.
From evidence gained through the building survey and observations made during building works it is suggested that the building originally had an agricultural function, possibly a stable block with domestic accommodation perhaps at the east end. It was subsequently converted to domestic use in the 18th/19th century incorporating elements from an earlier building. It was noted that the south stack and the upper part of the east stack were not tied to the building. Also many of the first floor lintels were constructed from re-used timber, with one including former studwork from a wattle and daub screen and the internal crosswalls are not tied to the outer walls. See report for full details.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Marked as The Manor House, the building appears to have been reinstated as a dwelling(s).


Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England, 1253993 (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

Outbuilding at Cadeleigh Court. House, in use as outbuilding. Circa 1700, possibly a remodelling of an earlier building. Dressed local sandstone brought to course with ashlar dressings; corrugated iron roof, hipped at ends; projecting rear lateral stack with truncated shaft, left end stack and 2 axial stacks with dismantled shafts. Plan : Long single depth range, 4 rooms wide on a west-east axis, built on a sloping site with the result that the south elevation is taller than the north. The plan form is puzzling and interpertation is made difficult because "none of the interior partitions is certainly original" (Silvester and Richardson), and the position of the original doorway or doorways is not clear. The left (east) end room has what appears to be a kitchen fireplace of a C17 date while the room second from left was heated by the lateral stack on the south wall and may have been the hall. The stack of the right (west) end room projects into the putative hall and is probably a subsequent modification while both the partition walls of the first room from the left appear to be C19 including the former axial stack. Nothing of the original roof survives and it is not clear whether any of the openings on the south side are original. Nevertheless, the north elevation openings are high quality work of circa 1700 with flat ashlar masonry arches. Silvester and Richardson have suggested the possibility that the building could be a refronting by Sir Simon Leach (d. 1708) of an earlier house built by his great grandfather, Sir Simon Leach, (d. 1637) and may have functioned as an agent or farm manager's house for Cadeleigh Manor. Exterior 2 storeys. Long, asymmetrical north elevation (but possibly once symmetrical at ground floor level, (Silvester and Richardson) with 13 ground floor and 11 first floor openings. The west end has been partly rebuilt at first floor level and has a slightly higher roofline. The 13 ground floor openings have flat ashlar masonry arches. The first bays from left and right have doorways, the fifth bay from the east is a doorway but may originally have been a window and it has been suggested that the windows in the third bays from left and right may have been doorways. This would have provided a symmetrical front. The central window is crowned with a rather decayed coat of arms which may show Leach impaling Turberville, recording the second marriage of the first Sir Simon Leach (q.v. parish church) although it has been interpreted as Leach impaling Grenville. 5 of the ground floor windows retain wooden frames and mullion. The first floor openings have plain wood or stone lintels, some with probably enlarged embrasures. The south elevation has a truncated ashlar masonry lateral stack and 6 openings of various sizes including what is probably a modern doorway at ground floor level 2 metres above the level of the farmyard to the south. Interior The fireplace in the left hand (east) room has ashlar masonry jambs and a scroll-stopped lintel. A rounded recess adjacent to the stack suggests the position of a former stair. There is no internal access between this room and the rest of the range. The lateral stack fireplace is blocked and the lintel has been removed but the chamfered jambs are still visible. The right hand (west) room axial stack projects into the putative hall and has chamfered jambs and a relieving arch. The first room front the left has an C18 or C19 fireplace in a partition wall which is not bonded to the external walls of the building ; circa straight stair between this room and the putative hall. An intriguing house with a complex building history on an archaeologically important site close to 2 small earthwork enclosures. The house, in connection with the earthworks, is important evidence in the history of Cadeleigh Manor. Both the earthworks and the house have been discussed in detail by R. J. Silvester and I. J. Richardson. Silvester, R. J. and Richardson, I. J., "The Manor of Cadeleigh near Tiverton," T.D.A., vol 116, (1984), 13-27.
Date first listed: 28th August 1987

Sources / Further Reading

SDV321788Personal Comment: Parker, R. W.. 2005. Photocopy.
SDV344513Report - Survey: Southwest Archaeology. 2005. Cow & Calves Barn, Cadeleigh Court, Devon. Results of a Brief Archaeological Desk-Based Study and Building Survey. Southwest Archaeology Report. 051212. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV344514Report - Survey: Wakeham, C.. 2006. Archaeological Building Survey of Farm Buildings at Cadeleigh Court, Cadeleigh, Devon. Exeter Archaeology Report. 06.23. A4 Stapled + Digital. 1.
SDV344523Report - Survey: Southwest Archaeology. 2006. The 'Old House', Cadeleigh Court, Cadeleigh, Devon. Southwest Archaeology Report. 060909. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1253993.
SDV44402Article in Serial: Fisher, A.. 1902. Sir Simon Leach of Cadeleigh, Kt.. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 2. 29-37.
SDV44403List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Cadeleigh. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 47.
SDV44404Article in Serial: Silvester, R. J. + Richardson, I. J.. 1984. The Manor of Cadeleigh near Tiverton. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 116. A5 Paperback. 13-27.
SDV44405Report - Assessment: Humphreys, C.. 2001. Cadeleigh Court: Archaeological Assessment. Southwest Archaeology Report. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV44407Photograph: Unknown. 1983. DCC Conservation Section Photo Collection. Photograph (Paper). 3-6.
SDV44408Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1983. Slide.
SDV44411Aerial Photograph: 1986. GB 2-3. Devon Aerial Photograph. GB 2-3.
SDV44412National Monuments Record Database: NMR. SS90NW16.

Associated Monuments

MDV63963Related to: Barn at Cadeleigh Court (Building)
MDV58976Related to: Cadeleigh Court (Monument)
MDV14860Related to: Cadeleigh Deerpark (Monument)
MDV1206Related to: Cadeleigh West Enclosure (Monument)
MDV1205Related to: Cadleigh East Enclosure (Monument)
MDV76629Related to: Calves House at Cadeleigh Court (Building)
MDV76627Related to: Engine House at Cadeleigh Court (Building)
MDV63966Related to: Linhay at Cadeleigh Court (Building)
MDV63967Related to: Linhay at Cadeleigh Court (Building)
MDV63964Related to: L-shaped Barn at Cadeleigh Court (Building)
MDV63962Related to: RABBIT WARREN in the Parish of Cadeleigh (Monument)
MDV63965Related to: Stable or Cow House at Cadeleigh Court (Building)
MDV63968Related to: Threshing Barn at Cadeleigh Court (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4643 - Cadleigh Court. Archaeological Assessment
  • EDV4644 - Desk-Based Study and Building Survey of Cow & Calves Barn, Cadeleigh
  • EDV4645 - Archaeological Building Survey of Farm Buildings at Cadeleigh Court
  • EDV4647 - Survey and Watching Brief at Cadeleigh Court

Date Last Edited:Jun 14 2018 9:46AM