HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV12298
Name:Little Fulford House, Shobrooke


A manor house, called Fulford, was built by the Dirwyn family in the 14th century. It was replaced by a sizeable mansion by William Peryam in the 16th century. Built in Tudor Gothick style, Peryam's mansion is described in a survey 1768 as ‘part Stone and part Brick but mostly stucc’d'. Illustrated by Cartwright circa 1770 and Swete in 1797. It was demolished in the early 19th century when Richard Hippisley Tuckfield built a new house at the top of the deer park.


Grid Reference:SS 850 008
Map Sheet:SS80SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishShobrooke
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSHOBROOKE

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS80SE/19

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANOR HOUSE (Built, XIV - 1301 AD to 1400 AD (Between))
  • MANSION HOUSE (Built, XVI - 1501 AD to 1578 AD (Between))

Full description

Unknown, Unknown (Migrated Record). SDV1416.

Little fulford, seat of tuckfield, illustrated by swete in 1796 (dro).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV148.

The rev. Tukes (ms history of shobrooke cited in troup) states that the former parish road through the park ran past little fulford mansion on the north side; it must have stood immediately south of present cricket ground. An ornamental avenue 3/4 mile long (shown on os 1:10,000) approached it from the east (os).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV242.

The site of a medieval estate which belonged to the bishop's manor of chritetona at the time of the domesday survey. In 1340 it was recorded as being included in town tithing. It was described in 1598 as a free socage tenancy (reichel).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV335.

According to the records of the court of wards of 1631 the manor of shobrooke was then held by the reynells (hoskins).

SS80SE/37, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV44889.

Little fulford or fulwood. Site of manorhouse/mansion. House built in or near shobrooke park (ss80se/25) by sir william periam (1535- 1605). This was pulled down c.1820 and a new house (ss80se/37) built (hoskins).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV44897.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV44898.

Hoskins, w. G. /new survey of england-devon/(1954)476a.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV44899.

Des=donn's map of devon 1765/sheet 70.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV44900.

Troup, f. R. /tda/70(1938)264.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV44901.

Reichel, o. J. /tda/54(1922)151,154,159/the manor and hundred of crediton.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV44902.

Hoskins, w. G. /dcnq/22(1942-1946)359/devon gentry:in carolean times.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV44903.

Griffiths, d. M. /as above/(17/1/1984).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV44904.

Dro=564m/13/133(illustrations by swete).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV44905.

Des=gallant, l. /deer parks/(1986)/manuscript in smr.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV44906.

Hhr: register of parks + gardens of special historic interest in england (devon)/(august 2003).

Donn, B., Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV68079.

Sir william's house was probably little fulwood, which stood at this ngr. No house is shown within fulwood park on maps of 1765 (donn) or 1809 (os 1").

DMG, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV68198.

Despite the above, os give ngr as ss85570124, and mark it there on the 1906 6" edition. Donn's map does show a house at approx ss851008 (dmg).

GALLANT, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV943.

According to sir w pole in 1635 estate recorded from 1290 until sold to tuckfield in early c17. Estate partly in crediton parish + partly in shobrooke (gallant).

Nicholas Pearson Associates, Sept 2013, Shobrooke Park, Parkland Plan, 27, 34-35, 36, 37, 39, 40, 42, 45, 51-57, 64, 92, 94 Figs 2, 4 (Report - Survey). SDV352483.

A manor house, called Fulford, was built by the Dirwyn family in the 14th century. The name probably derives from a nearby crossing point on the River Creedy - a foul ford. It is often called Little Fulford to distinguish it from Great Fulford an estate in the parish of Dunsford. The manor house was replaced by a sizeable mansion, probably on the same site, by William Peryam in the 16th century; it is recorded as newly erected in 1578.Fulford House is described in a survey 1768 as ‘part Stone and part Brick but mostly stucc’d’..in compleat Repair and the Garden in neat Order’. The rooms included a Breakfast or Steward’s Parlour, a Hall or Dining Parlour with a ceiling and chimney piece in Gothick Taste, a Large Parlour with a black marble chimney piece, A Drawing Room, Kitchen and cellars, a gallery, 7 bedrooms, library, house keeper and store room and garrets for servants. Outhouses included a brewhouse, dairy, slaughterhouse, cider cellars and press, granary, laundry and dovehouse, stables, coach houses, barns, garden house and green house which is described as ‘filled with oranges lemons and myrtle etc’. The accompanying plan has sketch elevations of the south and west fronts of the house. It is also illustrated by Cartwright circa 1770 and Swete in 1797. The house was built in Tudor Gothick style but was given a new Georgian front with bow window, which Swete rather disapproved of. Marked as Little Fulford on the Ordnance Surveyor’s drawing of 1807. A new mansion house, however, was built by Richard Hippisley Tuckfield at the top of the deer park in the early 1800s and Fulford House was demolished in 1815. The Old Fulford recorded on Greenwoods Map, 1827, is Leigh. A few buildings remained to the east of the old house though which are recorded on the 1842 Tithe Map and apportionment as School Houses. By the time of the first edition Ordnance Survey map, 1889, however, all the structures and field boundaries associated with old Fulford House had been demolished to make way for parkland for the new house. Earthworks associated with the site of the old house are still visible within the park, however and can be considered as of local archaeological significance as the site of an important Tudor house.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV1416Migrated Record: Unknown. Unknown. Devon Record Office Collection. Unknown.
SDV148Migrated Record:
SDV242Migrated Record:
SDV335Migrated Record:
SDV352483Report - Survey: Nicholas Pearson Associates. Sept 2013. Shobrooke Park, Parkland Plan. Nicholas Pearson Associates Report. A4 Comb Bound + Digital. 27, 34-35, 36, 37, 39, 40, 42, 45, 51-57, 64, 92, 94 Figs 2, 4. [Mapped feature: #4367 ]
SDV44889Migrated Record: SS80SE/37.
SDV44897Migrated Record:
SDV44898Migrated Record:
SDV44899Migrated Record:
SDV44900Migrated Record:
SDV44901Migrated Record:
SDV44902Migrated Record:
SDV44903Migrated Record:
SDV44904Migrated Record:
SDV44905Migrated Record:
SDV44906Migrated Record:
SDV68079Migrated Record: Donn, B..
SDV68198Migrated Record: DMG.
SDV943Migrated Record: GALLANT.

Associated Monuments

MDV596Related to: Chapel at Little Fulford House, Shobrooke (Building)
MDV13971Related to: Lord's Meadow to the east of Crediton (Monument)
MDV12304Related to: Shobrooke or Fulford Deer Park (Building)
MDV32594Related to: Shobrooke Park (Park/Garden)
MDV21778Related to: Shobrooke Park House (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6279 - Site survey and Analysis of Shobrooke Park

Date Last Edited:May 28 2014 2:32PM