HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV123015
Name:Higher Cheston farm

Summary

Farmstead dates to at least the early-mid 19th century, based on cartographic evidence. Depicted on the Tithe Map as a house and offices, shown on late 19th century map as 'Higher Cheston'. Buildings appear to have all survived, although one of the farm buildings has been converted into a dwelling; 'Barnacombe'.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 680 586
Map Sheet:SX65NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishUgborough
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishUGBOROUGH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (Constructed, XVIII to XIX - 1750 AD? to 1840 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

Depicted on the 1840s Tithe Map as house and offices; 1996 on the Apportionment. Owned by Lady Carew, occupied by James Goodman. Map shows Rectangular dwelling, aligned north-south, with a small square outhouse at the southern end, positioned at right angles to the lane to the south. Three additional buildings are shown within the plot. One, in the south-western corner of the plot, is a north-south aligned, rectangular structure (possible barn?). There is also an east-west aligned building to the north-east of the dwelling, and a tiny structure in the north-western corner of the plot.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Higher Cheston' is shown on the late 19th century historic map. Layout appears unchanged from the Tithe Map depiction.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Modern map shows the old farmhouse has been subdivided into two properties; 1 and 2 'Cheston Cottages'. The other farm buildings appear to have been retained, although the building to the north-east of the farmhouse has been converted into a dwelling at some time in the 20th century, marked as 'Barnacombe'.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #113478 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV2944Related to: Cheston Cottages, Ugborough (Building)
MDV78111Related to: Cheston farmstead, Ugborough (Monument)
MDV78031Related to: Shute farmstead, Ugborough (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 24 2018 10:22AM