HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV123016
Name:Building east of Cheston Cross

Summary

Building dates to at least the early-mid 19th century, based on cartographic evidence. Depicted on the Tithe Map as a long rectangular building, subdivided into two. There was a house with garden at the eastern end, and a barn with yard at the western end. At some point the western end has been converted into a further dwelling space and the boundary between the plots removed.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 681 585
Map Sheet:SX65NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishUgborough
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishUGBOROUGH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BARN (Constructed, XVIII to XIX - 1750 AD? to 1840 AD (Between))
  • HOUSE (Constructed, XVIII to XIX - 1750 AD? to 1840 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

Depicted on the 1840s Tithe Map as two adjoining rectangular buildings, aligned east-west, bordering the lane to the north. Each is set within its own plot. The western end is marked as 2004; 'barn and yard', while the eastern end is 2005; 'House and garden', both owned by South Brent Feoffees, occupied by Henry Langworthy.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Unchanged from the Tithe Map depiction.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Modern map shows the building, which still appears to be subdivided, although it's now set within a single plot and is probably one property. May be named 'Little Cheston'. At some point in the 20th century, the dividing boundary between plots has been removed.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #113479 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV2944Related to: Cheston Cottages, Ugborough (Building)
MDV78111Related to: Cheston farmstead, Ugborough (Monument)
MDV78031Related to: Shute farmstead, Ugborough (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 24 2018 10:55AM