HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV123030
Name:Eastern farmstead at Hexworthy

Summary

Farmstead likely to be at least 18th century in date, is comparable with the neighbours at Hexworthy. Depicted on the 1840s and late 19th century historic maps, by the time of the early 20th century map, the farmhouse had gone, possibly demolished to help build a new farm building first shown on the early 20th century map.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 654 728
Map Sheet:SX67SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDartmoor Forest
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLYDFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (Constructed, XVII to XVIII - 1650 AD? to 1799 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

Marked on the Lydford Tithe Map as a tenement at Hexworthy; 1113 on the Apportionment. 'Dwelling houses, Court and Gardens', owned by Calmady Pollexfen Hamlyn Esquire, occupied by George Stranger.
The main building is the north-south aligned dwelling, with two outbuildings shown to the north and east of the house.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The late 19th century historic map shows the farmhouse is still shown as before, although the outbuilding to the east is no longer depicted. The building to the north has been extended to the west, adding a cart shed space.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

The modern mapping shows only the northern (two-period) building, a second (modern) cart shed to the south and an early 20th century outbuilding which appears to have been built after the house (which is no longer shown) had gone out of use.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #113501 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV123029Parent of: Pig house adjoining cart shed at Hexworthy (Building)
MDV123028Related to: Cart shed east of Thimble Hall, Hexworthy (Building)
MDV123027Related to: Cart shed north-east of the Ring O' Bells (Building)
MDV77452Related to: Ring O' Bells, Hexworthy Farm (Monument)
MDV123022Related to: Western farmstead at Hexworthy (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 25 2018 3:56PM