HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV123128
Name:Addiscott Farm, South Tawton

Summary

Farmstead dates to at least the early-mid 19th century, based on cartographic evidence. However, there are documentary sources to Addiscott dating back to the mid-late 12th century, so it's possible that remains of older buildings may still be preserved.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 666 934
Map Sheet:SX69SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSouth Tawton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH TAWTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (Constructed, XVIII to XIX - 1750 AD to 1840 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

Depicted on the Tithe Map west of the north-south road at Addiscott. 725-730 on apportionment. Two main plot numbers appear to constitute the farm (725, 727), owned by William Damerel Esquire and occupied by William Cooper, while a number of other plots to the south-west (728-730) are all recorded as being owned by Henry Arthur Hoare Esquire; occupied by George Powlesland.
A large farmhouse occupies plot 727, with a C-shaped range of farm buildings to the north (725).
A number of smaller buildings are shown to the south-west, with yards/gardens. These are not coloured as dwellings on the Tithe Map, but are recorded as houses in the apportionment.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The late 19th century historic map shows the farm layout at 'Addiscott Estate' is largely unchanged since the Tithe Map depiction, although there may have been some alterations to the farm buildings north of the house. Most of the additional buildings to the south-west are still shown.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Addiscott Estate. The early 20th century historic map appears to show some further changes to the farm buildings, while only one of those to the south-west is still surviving.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

'Addiscott Farm' is shown on the modern mapping. The main buildings as shown on the early 20th century historic map survive, with some modern additions directly to the west.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #113642 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV15315Part of: Addiscott, South Tawton (Monument)
MDV78097Related to: Addiscott Home Farm, South Tawton (Monument)
MDV123129Related to: Farmstead at Addiscott, South Tawton (Monument)
MDV78010Related to: Moore's Addiscott, South Tawton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 8 2018 3:07PM