HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV12326
Name:Shapcott Barton, Knowstone

Summary

shapcott was the home of the Shapcotes in the 14th century. The present house though dates to circa 1600 with 19th and 20th century alterations.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 846 234
Map Sheet:SS82SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishKnowstone
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishKNOWSTONE

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS82SW/11
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*)
  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Built, XVI to XVII - 1550 AD to 1650 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV60055.

Osa=ss82sw5.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV60056.

Hoskins, w. G. /devon studies/(1952)144.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV60057.

Des=mhlg south molton r. D.(march 1964)38.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV60058.

Pevsner, n. /buildings of england north devon/(1952)111.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV60059.

Hoskins, w. G. /dcnq/22(1942-1946)325/devon gentry:in carolean times.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV60060.

Doe/hhr:knowstone/(15/9/1987)26-27.


Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV326943.

Shapcott barton. Vis=estimated -/-/1951(hoskins) an elizabethan reconstruction of an earlier house. Vis=estimated -/-/1963(mhlg) grade 2 mainly 16th century with later alterations but the core may be earlier. Vis=9/4/1970(os) externally little indication of its elizabethan date. Windows, doorways and all but one of the chimney stacks are 19th century. Shapcote barton was the home of the shapcotes since the 14th century. At the time of the committee of compounding in the mid 17th century it was held by thomas shapcote, who was lord of the manor of east knowstone, see crf (hoskins, dcnq 22)vis=shapcott barton farmhouse. Upgraded in this listing to grade ii*. Circa 1600, with some c19 and c20 alterations. Roughly coursed dressed stone, rendered at lower end with some cob to rear. Slate roof, gable end to right, half-hipped to left. Stone rubble stack at right and end with drip, rear lateral stone rubble hall stack heightened in brick and enclosed by rear wing. Axial c20 stack to lower end. Capped first floor stacks to outer 2 of the 3 gable ended rear wings. Three room and through passage plan. Two storeys. Five window range. C19 fenestration intact to right of porch. Lower end of the interior has been entirely altered in c20. Through passage/hall partition on passage side is entirely covered with clearly re-used c17 small panelling, two of the panels to the right of the doorway have renaissance carved panels, some to the left have incised lozenge decoration. Hall has very fine, elaborately moulded framed ceiling. Many other features. The roof has some of the c17 trusses with straight principals, trenched purlins and originally morticed and tenored collars survive, but the roof has been heavily remodelled in the c19 and c20. No sign of smoke-blackening. See doe list for full details (doe).


Cheadle, E., 2000, Shapcott Barton, Devon. Panelled oak screen. East Side of the Entrance Passage (Correspondence). SDV347020.

Painted decoration revealed beneath later layers of paint on panelled oak screens. Appears to be a continuous painted chevron pattern on the panels of the south section of the screen. Unclear whether the decoration is contemporary with the screen or painted at a later date. It appears that the north section was originally unpainted. On this section there is evidence that there was a decorative timber inlaid in geometrical patterns into the oak panels.
The painted decoration appears to be in a reasonably stable condition. The pigments are probably bound in oil, so that subsequent water-based layers have not bonded with it.
The timber appears to be seriously decayed and fragile at floor level.


Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England, 1107317 (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

Shapcott Barton. Barton farmhouse. Circa 1600, with some C19 and C20 alterations. Roughly coursed dressed stone, rendered at lower end with some cob to rear. Slate roof, gable end to right, half-hipped to left. Stone rubble stack at right end with drip, rear lateral stone rubble hall stack heightened in brick and enclosed by rear wing. Axial C20 stack to lower end. Capped first floor stacks to outer 2 of the 3 gable-ended rear wings. Plan: 3-room-and-through-passage plan, lower end to left, with 3 adjoining gable-ended rear wings, the central one to rear of hall/inner room houses the staircase, that to rear of inner room the dairy, that to rear of hall probably a salting-house/service room. The outer 2 wings both had heated first floor chambers.Shapcott Barton appears to be a largely single-phase building, although in the C19some of the joinery was replaced, including the staircase, and in circa 1956 thelower end, which until then had been used a cider-house and stables, was converted to form part of the dwelling and is separately occupied. The parlour ceiling was also entirely replaced in late C20. Exterior: 2 storeys: 5-window range. C19 fenestration intact to right of porch. C20 fenestration is same style to lower end. To left of porch is a 3-light casement 9 panes per light and 2-light 6 panes above 4-light 12 panes per light to left of C20 door. Deep projecting stone-rubble porch with leanto slate roof, originally it was 2 storeys and gabled as there appears to be a blocked first floor doorway visible in the front wall of the principal chamber. Impressive double ovolo-moulded straight-headed C17 inner door surround with weathered rams horns stops. To right of porch is a 4 light and two 3 light casement above two 3 light casements, all 12 panes per light. C17 4 light ovolo mullion window to rear stair projection, 2 of the lights retaining rectangular leaded lights. Interior: lower end entirely altered in C20. Through passage/hall partition onpassage side is entirely covered with clearly re-used C17 small panelling, 2 of the panels to the right of the doorway have Renaissance carved panels, some to the left have incised lozenge decoration. Hall has very fine, elaborately moulded framed ceiling, forming 20 panels, 4 of the panels at the upper end retain part of, and 2 retain complete plaster decoration, consisting of moulded lozenges with foliated sprays at the tips, and small central pendants. As the panels at the lower end appear to retain old plaster, it is possible that only the 15 panels at the upper end of the hall were decorated, while those below the central cross ceiling beam were always plain. Chamfered lintel with hollow step stops to hall fireplace which has dressed stone jambs and bread oven door (the oven demolished). Fine doorway and door to right of fireplace giving access to rear stair turret, with double ovolo-moulded surround with impressive large foliated stops, 4 plank door with studded cover strips to hall side forming 16 panels and scratch moulded ledges to rear. Plank and muntin screen between hall and inner room, plastered on inner room side, with deep chamfered muntins with run out stops and 8 panels with doorway at left end exposed on hall side. The window bench undoubtedly was carried round to form the 'dais bench' with some peg-holes visible in the muntins. The door surround has been cased in C19. Creamery to front wall. Parlour has C20 ceiling. Dressed stone jambs, herringbone slatework to rear of hearth and chamfered timber lintel to fireplace. Panelled shutters to window recess. Dairy altered in C20. In C19 the original staircase was removed and a much narrower dog-leg stair inserted. Chamfered ceiling beam to service room to rear of hall. Twin doorway at head of stairs to chambers over inner room and hall, the C17 surrounds apparently cased in C19, the right-hand doorway retains original door with scratch-moulded frame and ledges, and studded cover strips forming 12 panels. Chamber over dairy has similar C17 door, and ovolo-moulded jambs. Chamfered lintel to chamber fireplace, ovolo-moulded lintel to hall chamber fireplace. Hall chamber has decorative moulded plasterwork frieze surviving at upper end only, with repeating pattern of winged horses. Roof: some of the C17 trusses with straight principals, trenched purlins and originally morticed and tenored collars survive, but the roof has been heavily remodelled in the C19 and C20. To sign of smoke-blackening.
Date first listed: 20th February 1967

Sources / Further Reading

SDV326943Report - Survey: Department of Environment.
SDV347020Correspondence: Cheadle, E.. 2000. Shapcott Barton, Devon. Panelled oak screen. East Side of the Entrance Passage. Letter. A4 Single Sheet.
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1107317.
SDV60055Migrated Record:
SDV60056Migrated Record:
SDV60057Migrated Record:
SDV60058Migrated Record:
SDV60059Migrated Record:
SDV60060Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments

MDV122039Part of: Shapcott Barton, Knowstone (Monument)
MDV37552Related to: MANOR in the Parish of Knowstone (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 4 2018 1:24PM