HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV123335
Name:Holming Beam north lode, Morwell Down

Summary

Part of the tinworking on Morwell Down, worked from the surface for tin from at least the 16th century. Later bought and worked by the Tavistock Canal Company (1806) as one of the mines in their portfolio.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 453 711
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishGulworthy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • TIN MINE (Constructed, XVI - 1550 AD to 1599 AD (Between))

Full description

Environment Agency WMS, 1998-2016, LiDAR DTM data JPEG image (1m resolution) (Cartographic). SDV360208.

Visible in parts on the lidar data.


Waterhouse, R., 2017, The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology, 169-172, 182-186, figs 6.22-4, 6.35-6 (Monograph). SDV361789.

Holming Beam - north lode
Holming Beam consisted of a group of three interconnecting lodes, running parallel across the southern part of Morwell Down. Worked for tin from the surface from at least the 16th century (probably earlier); part of a large sett. Rights to this were bought by the Tavistock Canal Company with Wheal George and Charlotte in 1806. Probably included the copper mine later known as Wheal Russell which worked two lodes in the Tamar Valley to the west, and South Wheal Crebor which worked the eastward continuation of the Holming Beam lodes in the Tavy Valley to the east. Main period of working of this mine by the Company was between 1816-28.
Depicted on map of ancient mining evidence of Morwell Down, running north of Wheal Russell and crossing the line of the canal tunnel north of Bray's Shaft. Just north of this shaft, the lode was worked on an easterly drive for 43 metres, but only stoped above the tunnel, where the stoped area rises for about 12 metres above the tunnel roof. Author entered the stope in 2005 to survey it and noted dabs of clay on the walls to support candles.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV360208Cartographic: Environment Agency WMS. 1998-2016. LiDAR DTM data JPEG image (1m resolution). Environment Agency LiDAR data. Digital.
SDV361789Monograph: Waterhouse, R.. 2017. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. Paperback Volume. 169-172, 182-186, figs 6.22-4, 6.35-6. [Mapped feature: #113984 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV4083Related to: East Wheal Russell Mine (Monument)
MDV114364Related to: Holming Beam middle lode, Morwell Down (Monument)
MDV123336Related to: Holming Beam south lode, Morwell Down (Monument)
MDV123232Related to: Tavistock Canal, Main record (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV8013 - Survey of the Tavistock Canal Tunnel on Morwelldown

Date Last Edited:Nov 8 2018 3:00PM