HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV123502
Name:Wheal Impham Mine, Gulworthy

Summary

Wheal Impham Mine has a long history, having been worked from at least the mid-17th century. From 1807, it was one of the setts trialled by the Tavistock Canal Company, although it did not reward the company's ambitions for it. Later worked from the 1850s -1870s by the Wheal Russell and South Bedford adventurers.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 438 711
Map Sheet:SX47SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishGulworthy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • TIN MINE (Constructed, XVII - 1650 AD to 1699 AD (Between))

Full description

Waterhouse, R., 2017, The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology, 183, 185, 189- figs 6.36, 6.38 (Monograph). SDV361789.

Wheal Impham has a long history, having been worked for tin from at least the mid-17th century. Waterhouse shows the extent of Impham Crown 1539, c.1650-80 on map of ancient mining evidence of Morwell Down in vicinity of Holming Beam. From 1807, the Tavistock Canal Company added this mine to their portfolio (it appears to have been idle at this time). It was considered to have had strategic importance as a level driven from the River Tamar upon the course of the lode would reach the tunnel about the middle of Morwelldown and come in 40 fathoms below it, affording a power of working other lodes, although such a level was never driven (and would have cost an astronomical amount, considering the proposed length).
Author provides describes the main lode of this sett, which ran from the foot of the Impham valley's deep gorge (east of Weir Head) and into Hay Wood on the edge of Morwell Down to its south-east.
Despite the Company's ambitions for this sett, work (1807-8) was hampered by hard ground and despite investing over £500, they saw no return.
This sett was worked later in the 19th century by the Wheal Russell and South Bedford adventurers (1850s-70s) and they appear to have found some copper at depth during this period.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV361789Monograph: Waterhouse, R.. 2017. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. Paperback Volume. 183, 185, 189- figs 6.36, 6.38. [Mapped feature: #114242 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV16802Related to: South Wheal Luscombe Mine, Gulworthy (Monument)
MDV123232Related to: Tavistock Canal, Main record (Monument)
MDV22886Related to: Wheal Russell Mine, Gulworthy (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5407 - Surface Reconnaissance Inspection at Devon Great Consols and Bedford United Mines
  • EDV5535 - Walkover Reconnaissance Inspection, Devon Great Consols and Bedford United Mines

Date Last Edited:Nov 22 2018 1:52PM