HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV12363
Name:Slee's Almshouses, St Peter Street, Tiverton

Summary

Almshouses founded in 1610 by George Slee for six single women, originally had six single rooms, three on each floor with galleries in front. Renovated during late 20th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 953 125
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS91SE/41
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 485417

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • ALMSHOUSE (XVII - 1610 AD to 1613 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, Untitled Source (Ground Photograph). SDV348978.

Other details: Film 319.


Lysons, D. + Lysons, S., 1822, Magna Britannica, 517 (Monograph). SDV323771.


Harding, W., 1847, Untitled Source (Monograph). SDV348954.

Slee's or The Widows' Almshouses, situated in Peter Street built, was built in 1613. The building is in a very dilapidated state, neither is there any means existing by which it can be repaired.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1950 - 1975, SS91SE4 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV348979.


Department of Environment, 1972, Tiverton, 43 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV52494.

Stone building with gallery access at front. Casement windows. Much restored.


Devon County Council, 1975, Tiverton Town Trails, 65 (Article in Monograph). SDV352466.


Timms, S. C., 1976, The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft, 201 (Report - Survey). SDV341346.


Authers, W. P., 1980, The Great House (Leaflet). SDV345487.

Almshouses built with bequest of £500 from George Slee, who died in 1613.


Timms, S. C., 1982, Slee's Almshouses (Personal Comment). SDV348977.

These almshouses were the subject of extensive modernisation proposals in 1978/1979. The proposals were revised to retain the basic room plan of a front gallery on each floor, with rooms leading off the gallery. Work in progress August 1982. Other details: Sketch plan in parish file.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Almshouses founded in 1610 by George Slee for six single women. Probably renovated circa 1840s, 20th century renovations. Stone rubble and timber; slate roof gabled at the right end; end stack with brick shaft.
Plan: original plan was six single rooms, three on each floor and in 1790 were described as having galleries in front "and the lower as well as the upper rooms floored with timber. Behind are small herb gardens but no chapel" (Dunsford). The gallery is now glazed on the first floor.
Exterior: two storeys. Asymmetrical six-window front. Two segmental headed doorways on the front have probably renewed plank and cover strip front doors. Pairs of segmental-headed windows between the doors and at the outer ends of the front are glazed with two-light casements with square leaded panes. A projection at the right end also has a plank and cover strip front door. The gallery frontal (renewed) is timber with plain sunk panels and glazed above with eight continuous two-light windows with Tudor arched heads with square leaded panes and flat-faced mullions with roll-mouldings.
History: in 1842 and 1847 the almshouses were described as in a dilapidated state. A chest tomb to George Slee survives in the parish church of St Peter between the chancel and the north chancel chapel. (Dunsford: Historical Memoirs of the Town of Tiverton: 1790-: 341; Harding Lt Col FGS: The History of Tiverton: 1847-: 80).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV323771Monograph: Lysons, D. + Lysons, S.. 1822. Magna Britannica. Magna Britannica: A Concise Topographical Account of The Several Counties o. 6: Devonshire. Unknown. 517.
SDV341346Report - Survey: Timms, S. C.. 1976. The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. A4 Unbound + Digital. 201.
SDV345487Leaflet: Authers, W. P.. 1980. The Great House. Leaflet.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #80464 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV348954Monograph: Harding, W.. 1847. History of Tiverton. 2. Unknown.
SDV348977Personal Comment: Timms, S. C.. 1982. Slee's Almshouses.
SDV348978Ground Photograph: Devon County Council. Devon County Council Conservation Section Collection. Photograph (Paper).
SDV348979Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1950 - 1975. SS91SE4. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV352466Article in Monograph: Devon County Council. 1975. Tiverton Town Trails. Devon Town Trails: European Architectural Heritage Year. Paperback Volume. 65.
SDV52494List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Tiverton. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 43.

Associated Monuments

MDV1366Related to: Great House of St George, Tiverton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 18 2015 3:46PM