HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV12369
Name:United Reformed Church, formerly Congregational Church, Tiverton

Summary

United Reformed Church (formerly Congregational), early 19th century, with later 19th century features inside. Grey limestone ashlar with slate roof concealed behind parapet.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 953 125
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS91SE/51
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 485418

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL (XIX - 1830 AD to 1830 AD (Between))

Full description

Polwhele, R., 1793-1806, The History of Devonshire, 357 (Monograph). SDV21030.


Lysons, D. + Lysons, S., 1822, Magna Britannica, 516 (Monograph). SDV323771.


Reichel, O. J., 1928 - 1938, The Hundred of Tiverton in Early Times, 17 (Article in Monograph). SDV35420.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1950 - 1978, SS91SE3 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV349012.

Congregational chapel, St. Peter's Street. Independent Chapel on site of St. Peter's Chapel.
St. Peters Chapel, now the Steps Meeting House, was still in existence in 1554. This meeting house for Calvinistic Methodists was opened in 1687 (citing Lysons and Polwhele).


Department of Environment, 1972, Tiverton, 47 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV52494.

Rebuilt 1830, on the site of an early dissenting chapel, the Steps Meeting House. The north part is 1830, stone, central arched entrance, arch windows with glazing bars. The back of this, overlooking River Exe, has three-sided end with very tall round-headed windows.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

United Reformed Church (formerly Congregational). 1831 (Pevsner), with later 19th century features inside, foundation date of chapel on site 1660 (datestone). Grey limestone ashlar; slate roof concealed behind parapet.
Style: described as "cheerfully eclectic" by Pevsner.
Plan: end on to the street, immediately north of the memorial rooms (separately listed). Rectangular galleried plan.
Exterior: three-bay, the outer bays slightly broken forward, shallow pedimented gable over the central bay with a large square-on-plan finial. String course below upper tier of windows and coved cornice to outer bays below plain coped parapet with modillion frieze below centre bay and short sections of horizontal modillion frieze in outer bays. Central round-headed doorway with hoodmould with label stops; steps up to sliding doors with vertical sunk panels and blind timber arched fanlight with Gothick detail. The doorway was lit by a good late 19th century lamp at the apex on a fancy, stout, scrolled cast-iron bracket. Ground-floor windows have round-headed recessed arches with hoodmoulds to the inner order, windows glazed with six-pane fixed lights. Tall, round-headed gallery windows in the outer bays with hoodmoulds. Fixed windows with glazing bars and a roundel in the head. Similar triple window in the centre bay with continuous hoodmould. Rear elevation has hipped roof and one very tall round-headed louvred opening.
Interior: partially inspected. Nineteenth century gallery on columns with cast-iron balustrade; stout late 19th century benches with shaped ends; late 19th or early 20th century organ case. This building forms a good 19th century grey limestone group with the Memorial Rooms and No.2 St Peter Street to the south. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-: 807).


Watts, M., 2014, Church Rooms, St Peter Street, Tiverton, Devon, 4, 8-9; Figures 5-6 (Report - Survey). SDV357016.

The rebuilding of the church in its present form, along with the adjoining school or church rooms and minister's house or manse, was due to the dynamism of William Harvey Heudebourck, who began his ministry in Tiverton in February 1830 at the age of 24. The foundation stone of the new building was laid on 18 April 1831, and the church opened exactly a year later, on 18 April 1832. See report for full details.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV21030Monograph: Polwhele, R.. 1793-1806. The History of Devonshire. The History of Devonshire. Unknown. 357.
SDV323771Monograph: Lysons, D. + Lysons, S.. 1822. Magna Britannica. Magna Britannica: A Concise Topographical Account of The Several Counties o. 6: Devonshire. Unknown. 516.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #80469 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV349012Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1950 - 1978. SS91SE3. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV35420Article in Monograph: Reichel, O. J.. 1928 - 1938. The Hundred of Tiverton in Early Times. The Hundreds of Devon. A5 Hardback. 17.
SDV357016Report - Survey: Watts, M.. 2014. Church Rooms, St Peter Street, Tiverton, Devon. Watts, M.. PST243. Digital. 4, 8-9; Figures 5-6.
SDV52494List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Tiverton. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 47.

Associated Monuments

MDV2683Related to: Elmore Chapel, Chapel Street, Tiverton (Building)
MDV109882Related to: St. Peter's Chapel, Tiverton (Building)
MDV5359Related to: Steps Meeting House, St. Peter's Street, Tiverton (Building)
MDV2682Related to: The Congregational Church (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 26 2015 2:36PM