HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV123992
Name:Southern musketry wall at Berry Head Fort No. 3, Brixham

Summary

A section of curtain wall of rougly dressed limestone which extended from the redoubt and protected the southern flank of the fort. There is no evidence to suggest that it ever extended further to the east. It incorporates a redan, a v-shaped fortification work, to provide covering fire along its line.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 943 564
Map Sheet:SX95NW
Admin AreaTorbay
Civil ParishBrixham
DistrictTorbay
Ecclesiastical ParishBRIXHAM

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Tide Project: 03/09/2020
  • Torbay HER: MTO60089

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CURTAIN WALL (Constructed, XVIII to XIX - 1795 AD to 1804 AD (Between))

Full description

Pye, A.R. & Slater, W.D., 1990, Berry Head Fort, Brixham, An Archaeological Survey, 16, Figs 12, 18, Pl. 16 (Report - Survey). SDV362493.

There is no cartographic, documentary or physical evidence that the southern wall, as opposed to the northern wall - since quarried away, was ever completed, or rached further east than it currently does. Its present length of 140 metres incorporates a redan, a v-shaped fortification work, to provide covering fire along its line and runs from the southern edge of the revetted enceinte, the redoubt, to a point mid-way along the southern side of barrack 2.
The wall is constructed of roughly dressed limestone blocks like those of the encente, battered to an angle of 85 degrees except the top metre which is vertical forming a parapet 0.5 metres thick. There are two openings through the parapet giving access to a walled garden, established at a later date on the downslope outside the walls, probably after the decommissioning of 1817.
There is a small rectangular building located on the outer side of the eastern end of the wall and of the same construction; its function is unclear and the interior filled with vegetation and rubble to a height of about 2.5 metres. There are neither doors nor windows, or trace of any other feature.

Watts, M., 2020, Berry Head Fort No. 3 (Ground Photograph). SDV363853.

Photos of buildings and structures within the former Napoleonic fort.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV362493Report - Survey: Pye, A.R. & Slater, W.D.. 1990. Berry Head Fort, Brixham, An Archaeological Survey. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report. EMAFU 90.10. Hardcopy + Digital. 16, Figs 12, 18, Pl. 16. [Mapped feature: #115314 Imported from Torbay HER - Jan 2019, ]
Linked documents:1
SDV363853Ground Photograph: Watts, M.. 2020. Berry Head Fort No. 3. Digital.
Linked images:12

Associated Monuments

MDV20080Part of: Berry Head Fort No. 3, Brixham (Monument)
MDV9593Related to: Redoubt at Berry Head Fort No. 3, Brixham (Monument)
MDV42888Related to: Walled garden at Berry Head Fort No. 3, Brixham (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV7834 - Archaeological Assessments of the Berry Head Forts

Date Last Edited:Oct 28 2020 9:39AM