HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV124479
Name:Ruined building at the Left Lake clay workings, Harford


Foundations of a demolished building at Left Lake clay works, which contained a probable engine and/or other machinery, associated with the nearby clay pit.


Grid Reference:SX 646 634
Map Sheet:SX66SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishHarford
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishHARFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • INDUSTRIAL BUILDING (Built, Early 20th Century - 1911 AD to 1932 AD (Between))

Full description

Newman, P., 2018, Erme Valley Survey data (GIS and Excel spreadsheet) (Cartographic). SDV361913.

Building shown on survey.

Newman , P., 2018, Ruined building at Left Lake (Worksheet). SDV362746.

Foundations of a demolished building at Left Lake clay works (MDV4234), which contained a probable engine and/or other machinery, associated with the nearby clay pit. The structure was timber framed, clad with timber or galvanized sheeting, resting on an upstanding concrete base wall. Fragmentary remains of the 0.25 metre-thick concrete wall base are all that survive, along with additional concrete features indicating the position of various mechanical components.
The internal dimensions were 16.6 metres by 6.2 metres. A raised, rectangular concrete engine loading set within the structure measures 3.9 metres by 1.3 metres and has evidence of six iron fixing studs. To the south-west of the engine loading, a lined, rectangular pit of 2.5 metres by 0.6 metres could have housed a flywheel from a horizontal engine. On what was the south-western exterior of the building is a turf-filled, masonry or concrete lined rectangular pit of 11.5 metres by 2.5 metres, the purpose of which has not been established. A level earthwork terrace of 10 metres by 5.7 metres, attached to the south side of the building hints at an additional all timber structure at this location.
Clay was extracted from this site for a short period in the 1850s, but this building was installed between 1911 and 1932 when operated by the China Clay Corporation, and later the Ivybridge China Clay Company.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV361913Cartographic: Newman, P.. 2018. Erme Valley Survey data (GIS and Excel spreadsheet). GIS ShapeFile. Digital. [Mapped feature: #125410 ]
SDV362746Worksheet: Newman , P.. 2018. Ruined building at Left Lake. Worksheet. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV4234Part of: Left Lake China clay works, Harford and Ugborough Parishes (Monument)
MDV28106Related to: Clay workings at Left Lake, Harford (Monument)
MDV28104Related to: Industrial building associated with the clay pit at Left Lake, Harford (Building)
MDV27892Related to: Industrial building at Left Lake clay works on Harford Moor, Harford (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV8082 - Survey of the Upper Erme Valley

Date Last Edited:Apr 26 2020 2:24PM