HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV12467
Name:Langley Barton, Yarnscombe


Langley barton on remains of medieval barton. Mentioned as being home of one of the sea captains who fought the Spanish Armada.


Grid Reference:SS 566 249
Map Sheet:SS52SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishYarnscombe
Ecclesiastical ParishYARNSCOMBE

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS52SE/16
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 91885

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XVII - 1601 AD to 1650 AD (Between))

Full description

Unatributed Sites and Monuments Register Entry (Unattributed Sites and Monuments Register Entry). SDV263.

Langley Barton on remains of medieval barton. Mentioned in the Red Lovering as being home of one of the sea captains who fought the Spanish Armada.

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1953 - 1980, SS52SE4 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV343743.

Visited 30th November 1953. A stone building showing two periods of construction the oldest being to the north. House lacks features of dateable antiquity and judging from its latest stonework it probably only incorporates remains of medieval house.

Department of Environment, 1959, Torrington RD Provisional List, 21 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV118.

Externally a 18th century farmhouse. The north-east wing is earlier, and has a wagon roof now hidden. The staircase is early 17th century.

Department of Environment, 1989, Yarnscombe, 195 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV336000.

Farmhouse. Circa early 17th century, almost certainly a remodelling of an earlier house; 18th century, 19th century and 20th century alterations. Stone rubble; slate roof (hipped at ends); 3 rear lateral stacks enclosed by later outshuts, end stack to n-e wing (shaft truncated) lateral stack on inner (w) return of wing.
Plan: approximate l plan: a south facing main range, 4 rooms wide, the 3 left hand rooms heated from rear larteral stacks; approximately central entrance into a narrow cross passage. A rear right (n-e) wing and a second wing adjoining it on the w form the overall l plan with a series of outshuts and additions to the main range. A 17th century stair rises between the n-e wing and the main range, a late 19th-/early 20th century stair rises in one of the rear projections. Although the main range appears to be early 19th century from the exterior it is at least early 17th century in origin. A concealed date of 1624 survives on the fireplace of the 3rd room from the left (w) and this room may have been the early 17th century hall, the present entrance corresponding to a 17th century cross passage entrance. The norht-east wing was no doubt a parlour wing with a first floor chamber (wagon roof). However, extensive rebuilding has clearly taken place. A 17th century fireplace in situ in a garden wall about 1.5 metres from the east end of the main range indicates that the house has been truncated and the quoins at this end incorporate reused moulded stones and much of the internal carpentry of the main range is also reused timber (information from the owner). It seems likely that the e end of the house is the early 17th century higher end with a hall and (now truncated) inner room parlour with a parlour wing at right angles. Of the 2 putative lower end rooms to the left (w) of the entrance, one retains a fireplace with slates set on edge and is unlikely to have functioned as a kitchen. The inner north-east wing, now the farm office, was used as a kitchen in the early part of the 20th century. The existing kitchen is the right hand room of the main range, the parlour wing has been re-partitioned as a service wing on the ground floor with bedrooms above. The remains of a service courtyard survives to the north. The circa early 19th century re-fronting of the main range has provided an approximately symmetrical s elevation.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Almost symmetrical 5-bay s front with a circa early 19th century porch with timber columns and a 19th century half-glazed front door. Arms of the pollard family above the front door. Nineteenth century doors to the extreme left and right, the left hand door with a glazed overlight, the right hand door half-glazed. Flanking the central front door, 2 tripartite 19th century sashes, 12 pane in the centre, 4 pane in the outer lights; 5 first floor 12 pane sashes; all the windows have painted flat brick arches with keyblocks. The north-east wing has laced masonry courses on the east side. About 1.5 metres east of the east wall of the house a retaining garden wall incorporates a fireplace with ovolo-moulded stone jambs and a fireback of slates laid on edge.
Interior: the main range rooms have high ceilings and no evidence of early exposed carpentry. The chimneypieces to the lateral stacks have all been partially or completely rebuilt with replaced lintels. In the third room from the left the original ovolo-moulded jambs survive in situ (matching the jambs of the fireplace in the garden wall). A relieving arch has been dismantled and rebuilt inside the existing fireplace. 17th century carpentry includes a staircase with a moulded handrail and a mixture of bobbin turned and turned balusters. A 17th century panelled door on the first floor retains cockshead hinges; other first floor doors include 18th century 2 panel doors, some with original hinges, 2 with 17th century doorframes.
Roof: not seen in detail at time of survey (1988) but the main range appears to be pegged 'A frames with halved collars and evidence of reused timbers. The wagon roof over the north-east wing has a modern ceiling below it and is said to retain some fragments of old plaster. Other details: LBS no 91885.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV118List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1959. Torrington RD Provisional List. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 21.
SDV263Unattributed Sites and Monuments Register Entry: Unatributed Sites and Monuments Register Entry.
SDV336000List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1989. Yarnscombe. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 195.
SDV343743Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1953 - 1980. SS52SE4. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Nov 22 2011 8:59AM