HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV124675
Name:Tavistock Canal Wharf at Wheal Crebor

Summary

This was the first wharf on the main line of the canal and also served as site of the Canal Company's main construction and service yard.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 462 723
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishGulworthy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status

  • SHINE: Structures, earthworks and below-ground mining features associated with Wheal Crebor Mine including a former canal and railway, east of Buctor Farm

Other References/Statuses

  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CONSTRUCTION WORKS (Constructed, XIX - 1805 AD to 1820 AD (Between))
  • CANAL WHARF (Constructed, XIX - 1812 AD to 1817 AD (Between))

Full description

Waterhouse, R., 2017, The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology, 408, fig 11.35 (Monograph). SDV361789.

Wheal Crebor Wharf
This was the first wharf on the main line of the canal downstream of the junction with the Collateral Cut, this was the temporary terminus of the canal from 1812-1817 and the site of the Canal Company's main construction and service yard.
It had granite edging stones, indicating its relative importance, and measured 50 metres long by about 3 metres wide. It backed onto the dressing floors of Wheal Crebor and it is highly likely that Wheal's Crebor's plateway incline, which brought ore to the surface from 1812-c.1821 had sidings that ran down onto the wharf, as there was a water powered roller crusher at the north-east end of the floors by 1811; its loading level was accessed directly from the wharf.
The construction and development yard developed here from 1805.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV361789Monograph: Waterhouse, R.. 2017. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. Paperback Volume. 408, fig 11.35. [Mapped feature: #115050 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV116076Related to: Dressing Floor Buildings, Buctor Farm, Tavistock (Monument)
MDV116115Related to: Sluice Canal Feed and Sump, Buctor Farm, Tavistock (Monument)
MDV123232Related to: Tavistock Canal, Main record (Monument)
MDV4067Related to: Tavistock Canal, Northern Section (Monument)
MDV116044Related to: Water Wheel Engine, Buctor Farm (Monument)
MDV3954Related to: Wheal Crebor Mine (Monument)
MDV116040Related to: Wheel Crebor House, Buctor Farm, (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 9 2019 5:49PM