HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV12488
Name:Heanton Court Barton

Summary

House, now public house and restaurant, has also been a farm and hotel during the 19th and 20th centuries.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 513 349
Map Sheet:SS53SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishHeanton Punchardon
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishHEANTON PUNCHARDON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS53SW/21
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 98428
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SS53SW 4

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • COUNTRY HOUSE (Post Medieval to XXI - 1540 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Lysons, D. + Lysons, S., 1822, Magna Britannica, 262 (Monograph). SDV323771.


Ordnance Survey, 1905, 9SE (Cartographic). SDV335634.

'Heanton Court Barton Remains of Mansion' shown.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1953, SS53SW4 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV342171.

Hotel. Possibly Remains of Medieval Mansion.
1. Heanton Court Barton. Remains of Mansion.
2. The house in its present form with battlements and Georgian windows looks circa 1790. It lies below the village by the estuary.
The old seat of the Bassets of whom Colonel Arthur Basset was governor of St. Michael's Mount in 1646.
3. The remains of an ancient mansion of about 16th century.
4. Description in '2' correct. A stone building with some brick-work. There is no trace of a previous building in the actual walls. The occupiers could not be contacted. Now known as 'Heanton Court Hotel' according to a notice board.


Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 408 (Monograph). SDV17562.

Heanton Court, beside the Taw estuary, was the seat of a younger branch of the Bassets from the 15th century down to 1802. It is now a farmhouse.


Department of Environment, 1985, Heanton Punchardon, 91 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV86763.

House, now public house and restaurant. Pre 18th century, remodelled late 18th century, 19th and 20th century alterations. Rubblestone with dressed stone voussoirs and brick plat-band. Mansard slate roof to central range with large central brick stack and pyramidal slate roofs to towers. Gothick symmetrical 2-storey central range of 7 bays with projecting flanking 3-stage towers, each 2 bays with embattled parapets. Top stage sashes are 3 panes over 6 panes, horned to right. Those to lower storeys are all 6 panes over 6 panes, generally hornless 18th century sashes at first floor, hornless 20th century on ground floor. Those in towers are all set in deeper reveals. Doorways inserted in the end window openings of the central section, with half-glazed doors; that to the left has 3-paned overlight. All window openings have large keystones except centre ground floor window and slightly cambered arches. Two-storey extension to rear of left tower with slated lean-to roof and castellated outer wall. Further 2-storey 18th or 19th century extension at rear left end of central section with hipped slate roof. Single-storey lean-to with slate roof in between these two. Interior entirely altered except for 2 remaining upper flights of staircase with turned balusters and moulded handrail ramped up to large newels. Original roof timbers survive to towers only. Formerly seat of the Bassets from 15th century to 1802. Imposing situation on bank of Taw Estuary. Other details: 98428.


Gallant, L., 1986, Deer Parks and Paddocks of England (Un-published). SDV656.

Nothing in immediate locality. 'Park Farm' lies circa 1 mile to north-west on edge of Braunton.


Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 477-8 (Monograph). SDV325629.

Heanton Court: the home of the Bassetts from the 15th century to 1802. With its battlements and Georgian windows with heavy keystones, apparently an 18th century reworking of an older building. Eleven bays, only one room deep, projecting 3-storey end bays. The back windowless, with rubble walls. The house lies below the village, squeezed between the main road and the estuary.


Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J., 1992, Preliminary Archaeological Assessment, Taw-Torridge Tidal Waters Improvements, 8 (Report - Assessment). SDV18873.

The present house dates to the 18th century, but it lies on the site of an earlier mansion of the 16th century. Other details: Site 50.


Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J., 1993, Archaeological Assessment of SWW Taw-Torridge Tidal Waters Improvements, 6 (Report - Assessment). SDV4711.

The house to the south of the road is now a public house. The buildings to the north of the road appear to be derelict outbuildings. Other details: Site 28.


Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J., 1993, Archaeological Assessment of SWW Taw-Torridge Tidal Waters Improvements, Part 2: Northern Route N1A, 3 (Report - Assessment). SDV81720.

Other details: Site 28.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 408.
SDV18873Report - Assessment: Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J.. 1992. Preliminary Archaeological Assessment, Taw-Torridge Tidal Waters Improvements. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report. 92.32. A4 Stapled + Digital. 8.
SDV323771Monograph: Lysons, D. + Lysons, S.. 1822. Magna Britannica. Magna Britannica: A Concise Topographical Account of The Several Counties o. 6: Devonshire. Unknown. 262.
SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 477-8.
SDV335634Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1905. 9SE. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 6 inch Map. Map (Paper).
SDV342171Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1953. SS53SW4. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV4711Report - Assessment: Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J.. 1993. Archaeological Assessment of SWW Taw-Torridge Tidal Waters Improvements. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report. 93.25. A4 Stapled + Digital. 6.
SDV656Un-published: Gallant, L.. 1986. Deer Parks and Paddocks of England. Deer Parks and Paddocks of England. Manuscript.
SDV81720Report - Assessment: Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J.. 1993. Archaeological Assessment of SWW Taw-Torridge Tidal Waters Improvements, Part 2: Northern Route N1A. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report. 93.33. A4 Stapled + Digital. 3.
SDV86763List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1985. Heanton Punchardon. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 91.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4490 - RMB Chivenor Flood Defence Scheme Barnstaple, Devon: Archaeological Desk-based Assessment

Date Last Edited:May 28 2009 12:00AM