HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV12513
Name:St. Margaret's Hospital, Pilton, Barnstaple

Summary

Site of St. Margaret's hospital, founded as a leper house in the 12th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 557 338
Map Sheet:SS53SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBarnstaple
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishPILTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS53SE/185
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SS53SE10

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LEPER HOSPITAL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Incledon, B., 1801, An Account of the Hospital of St. Margaret at Pilton in Devonshire, 211-214 (Article in Serial). SDV83046.

Situated in Pilton Street, near the Chapel of St. Margaret. After the dissolution the hospital was disposed oa an an appendate to the Priory of Pilton - part of the poor lands of the parish. There is a reference to a medieval seal, 'Sigill leprosorv' beat. Margaret de Pylton'.


Lysons, D. + Lysons, S., 1822, Magna Britannica, 389-390 (Monograph). SDV323771.

Still exists as a hospital although obsolete for lepers. The Chapel of St. Margaret which belonged to this hospital has been converted to a dwelling place.


Oliver, B., 1842, Ecclesiastic Antiquities of Devon, 36-37 (Migrated Record). SDV350367.


Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

St. Margaret's Hospital (Site of) marked.


Bagley, W. H. M., 1907, Some Account of Pilton Priory and Church, 12 (Monograph). SDV77485.

Mentioned documents in 1199, 1378 and 1383.


Knowles, D. + Hadcock, R. N., 1971, Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales, 330, 385 (Monograph). SDV323253.

St. Margaret's Hospital. Site of a 12th century leper house. Founded before 1197, dissolved 1539 and later refounded.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, Unknown, SS53SE10 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV83041.

Site visit 3rd October 1953. No visible remains. Site occupied by a terrace of houses called St. Margaret's Terrace.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV323253Monograph: Knowles, D. + Hadcock, R. N.. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales. Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales. Unknown + Digital (part). 330, 385.
SDV323771Monograph: Lysons, D. + Lysons, S.. 1822. Magna Britannica. Magna Britannica: A Concise Topographical Account of The Several Counties o. 6: Devonshire. Unknown. 389-390.
SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #4500 ]
SDV350367Migrated Record: Oliver, B.. 1842. Ecclesiastic Antiquities of Devon. Ecclesiastic Antiquities of Devon. Unknown. 36-37.
SDV77485Monograph: Bagley, W. H. M.. 1907. Some Account of Pilton Priory and Church. Some Account of Pilton Priory and Church. Unknown. 12.
SDV83041Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. Unknown. SS53SE10. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV83046Article in Serial: Incledon, B.. 1801. An Account of the Hospital of St. Margaret at Pilton in Devonshire. Archaeologia. 12. Unknown. 211-214.

Associated Monuments

MDV4488Related to: Priory of St Mary Magdalene, Barnstaple (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 9 2013 4:29PM