HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV12533
Name:Lower Almshouses, Pilton Street, Barnstaple

Summary

Row of 6 almshouses dated 1860.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 556 339
Map Sheet:SS53SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBarnstaple
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBARNSTAPLE
Ecclesiastical ParishPILTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS53SE/205
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SS53SE72

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • ALMSHOUSE (XIX - 1860 AD to 1860 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, Towns 1855-95 1:500 (Cartographic). SDV348147.

Almshouses marked on 1855-1895 1:500 town map.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

1-6 Lower Almshouses including front garden wall and gate piers.
Row of 6 almshouses. Dated 1860. Stone rubble. Slated roof. 4 stone rubble chimneys with moulded cornices; good pots of several different types, some spiked. A single range lying at right-angles to street; the almshouses arranged in 3 pairs, each pair with a shared door. In front of them a garden with curtilage wall and gate-piers along the street frontage. One storey with garret Tudor-style. 6-window range. Doorways have chamfered surrounds with pyramid stops and cranked heads; double plank doors. Ground-storey windows of 3 lights with chamfered stone mullions; relieving arches. Garret windows take the form of dormer gables with 2-light mullioned window matching those below; moulded barge-boards with collar beams, the inner edges ot the barge-boards above this level cut to form a trefoil. Lights in all the windows 3-paned with metal glazing bars. Gable wall to street has projecting chimney-breast, stepped on left side. Attached to it on a pair of corbels is a stone plaque inscribed: 'THESE ALMSHOUSES WERE REBUILT AT THE EXPENSE OF THE CHARITY BY THE UNDERMENTIONED FEOFFEES. A.D. 1860.' 6 names follow, including the Revd Wm C Hall. To the right of the chimney-breast in each storey is a 3-paned single-light window with chamfered surround, that in ground storey with relieving arch. Gable finished with stone coping; kneelers at the front.
Interiors not inspected.
Subsidiary Features: low stone rubble garden wall with chamfered coping. Square gate piers with pyramidal caps. Date listed: 31st December 1973.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, Unknown, SS53SE72 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV83918.

Lower Almshouses, 1-6 Pilton Street, are dated 1860. Two storey buildings of stone rubble, with steep pitched slate roof with gabled ends. First floor has small gables with two-light stone mullion windows with relieving arches over.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV348147Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. Towns 1855-95 1:500. Towns 1855-95 1:500. Digital.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #80548 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV83918Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. Unknown. SS53SE72. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 2 2013 3:24PM