HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV12612
Name:Bishop's Palace in Crediton

Summary

The site of the medieval Bishop's Palace in Crediton, now occupied by an 18th century house.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 837 003
Map Sheet:SS80SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCrediton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCREDITON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS80SW/9
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 386960
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SS80SW5

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BISHOPS PALACE (VIII to XVI - 701 AD to 1600 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, SS80SW5 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV337879.


Polwhele, R., 1793-1806, The History of Devonshire, 88 (Monograph). SDV21030.


Gough, R., 1806, Untitled Source, 35 (Monograph). SDV337870.

The 1586-1607 manuscript of Camden's Britannia mentions the Bishop's Palace but Gibson in his 1695 edition states that there was then no trace of the Bishops occupation except for the field name Lords Meadow. The Manor had by then been granted to the Killegrews.


Westcote, T., 1845, A View of Devonshire in 1630 (Monograph). SDV227839.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'The Palace On Site of Bishop's Palace' shown.


Smith, Rev. P., 1882, The Early History of Crediton, 195 (Article in Serial). SDV337632.

The Bishop's Palace. Said to be 'altogether ruinated' in 1650, it stood by the churchyard with a park. Present structure built by 1820 and no element of the original construction now remains above ground level other than a small buttress and other pieces of old masonry worked into the new walls. May have stood within a crenellation but no visible evidence of this. Park still retains the name of 'Lord's meadow'.


Reichel, O. J., 1922, The Manor and Hundred of Crediton, 146-75 (Article in Serial). SDV40070.


Montague, L. A. D., 1940 - 1941, Notes on Old Crediton, 31-2 (Article in Serial). SDV337762.

17th century house on the site of the Saxon Bishop's Palace. Present house is at least 17th century but part of wall at the back may be 12th century.


Pevsner, N., 1952, The Buildings of England: South Devon, 96 (Monograph). SDV336217.

House built round and in front of medieval stone walls. More likely to be remains of collegiate buildings than of Bishop's Palace. House has early 18th century brick front.


Venn, T. W., 1955, An Introduction to Crediton, alias Kirton or sometimes Critton, 27 (Article in Serial). SDV58742.


Leland, J., 1964, Leland's Itinerary 1535-45, 239 (Monograph). SDV337630.

Leland mentions the existence of the Bishops Palace (by the churchyard) and park in circa 1540.


Department of Environment, 1972, Urban District of Crediton, 4 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV39769.

House built round and in front of medieval stone walls. Although these have sometimes been considered part of a Bishop's Palace they are more likely remains of the Collegiate buildings.


Blake, D. W., 1982, The pre-conquest Bishops of Cornwall, 1-6 (Article in Serial). SDV337880.


Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit, 1983, Note on Crediton Minster (Report - non-specific). SDV337871.

Tithe Map details shown on plan.


Gallant, L., 1986, Deer Parks and Paddocks of England (Un-published). SDV656.

According to Lysons the Manor and Hundred of Crediton belonged to the Bishop of Devonshire who had a palace there until 1080. It was conveyed, along with the park, by Bishop Babington in 1595 to William Killigrew.


Weddell, P. J., 1986, The Saxon Minster Collegiate Church and Bishop's Palace at Crediton (Report - Survey). SDV53415.

Land at Crediton was granted to the Bishop of Sherborne in 739 and said by 11th century scribes to have been for a monastery, but it is not certain whether one was ever founded. It is assumed that the Saxon Bishops had a residence here. After the dissolution the building still appears to have been used for manorial purposes. In 1698 'Pallace House' was said to be a repository for documents and manorial business was carried on in "the great chamber there" (Venn). Site shown as 'The Pallace' on Norden's 1598 map. It lies within a large enclosed space called 'The Little Parke' and appears to contain a complex of buildings. Said by Westcote to be almost utterly demolished and 'showing only a poor remnant' in 1630 (Oliver & Jones). The inference from this is that the medieval parts had fallen into decay and presumably the various buildings around the palace. The dwelling house may have been rebuilt but older outbuildings were left in their original condition. Documentary evidence certainly suggests that the house was occupied in the 17th and 18th centuries. Montague draws attention to extensive cellars in the house, although these have now been filled in, and to supposed underground passages running to the church and other parts of the eastern town. No recent observations have been made, although some such structures certainly seemed to have existed. The Tithe Map shows a large range of buildings on the palace site. Of these, only the house survives.
Today the house, called the Palace is occupied by the Chairman and Governors of Crediton Church. The present house, which has an 18th century front, is said to be built around and in front of medieval stone walls.


Unknown, 1986 - 1987, Devon Religious Houses Survey (Un-published). SDV347681.


Devon Religious Houses Survey, 1986-7, Devon Religious Houses Survey. Crediton (Archive - Survey). SDV358570.


Borthwick, A., 1999, Land off Mill Street, Crediton: The archaeological and historical implications of development, 3-4 (Report - Assessment). SDV323116.


WSP Environmental Ltd, 2005, Mill Street, Crediton: Archaeological Assessment, Appendix 1 (Report - Assessment). SDV338960.

Bishops Palace incorporating medieval elements.


Exeter Archaeology, 2006, Archaeological assessment of a proposed college site to the east of Exhibition Road, Crediton (Report - Assessment). SDV337881.

17th century building on the site of the original Saxon palace.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV21030Monograph: Polwhele, R.. 1793-1806. The History of Devonshire. The History of Devonshire. Unknown. 88.
SDV227839Monograph: Westcote, T.. 1845. A View of Devonshire in 1630. A View of Devonshire in 1630. Unknown.
SDV323116Report - Assessment: Borthwick, A.. 1999. Land off Mill Street, Crediton: The archaeological and historical implications of development. Alison Borthwick & Associates. A4 Stapled + Digital. 3-4.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336217Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1952. The Buildings of England: South Devon. The Buildings of England: South Devon. Paperback Volume. 96.
SDV337630Monograph: Leland, J.. 1964. Leland's Itinerary 1535-45. Leland's Itinerary 1535-45. 1. Unknown. 239.
SDV337632Article in Serial: Smith, Rev. P.. 1882. The Early History of Crediton. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 14. A5 Hardback. 195.
SDV337762Article in Serial: Montague, L. A. D.. 1940 - 1941. Notes on Old Crediton. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 21. Unknown. 31-2.
SDV337870Monograph: Gough, R.. 1806. William Camden's Britannia. 1. Unknown. 35.
SDV337871Report - non-specific: Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit. 1983. Note on Crediton Minster. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit HER Entry. A4 Single Sheet.
SDV337879Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. SS80SW5. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV337880Article in Serial: Blake, D. W.. 1982. The pre-conquest Bishops of Cornwall. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. Unknown. 1-6.
SDV337881Report - Assessment: Exeter Archaeology. 2006. Archaeological assessment of a proposed college site to the east of Exhibition Road, Crediton. Exeter Archaeology Report. 06.72. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV338960Report - Assessment: WSP Environmental Ltd. 2005. Mill Street, Crediton: Archaeological Assessment. WSP Report. 12262065. A4 Stapled + Digital. Appendix 1.
SDV347681Un-published: Unknown. 1986 - 1987. Devon Religious Houses Survey. Devon Religious Houses Survey. Mixed Archive Material.
SDV358570Archive - Survey: Devon Religious Houses Survey. 1986-7. Devon Religious Houses Survey. Crediton. Devon Religious Houses Survey. Photocopy + Digital.
SDV39769List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Urban District of Crediton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 4.
SDV40070Article in Serial: Reichel, O. J.. 1922. The Manor and Hundred of Crediton. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 54. A5 Hardback. 146-75.
SDV53415Report - Survey: Weddell, P. J.. 1986. The Saxon Minster Collegiate Church and Bishop's Palace at Crediton. Devon Religious Houses Survey. 6. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV58742Article in Serial: Venn, T. W.. 1955. An Introduction to Crediton, alias Kirton or sometimes Critton. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 87. A5 Hardback. 27.
SDV656Un-published: Gallant, L.. 1986. Deer Parks and Paddocks of England. Deer Parks and Paddocks of England. Manuscript.

Associated Monuments

MDV17295Related to: Collegiate Church in Crediton (Monument)
MDV19710Related to: Crediton Deer Park (Monument)
MDV13971Related to: Lord's Meadow to the east of Crediton (Monument)
MDV16966Related to: Manor of Crediton (Monument)
MDV23393Related to: Palace Cottage, Blagdon, Crediton (Building)
MDV13970Related to: Possible Underground Passages, Crediton (Monument)
MDV17296Related to: Saxon Minster at Crediton (Monument)
MDV13969Related to: St Gregory's Cathedral, Crediton (Monument)
MDV97408Related to: The Palace, Church Lane, Crediton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4176 - College Site to the east of Exhibition Road in Crediton
  • EDV4270 - Mill Street, Crediton

Date Last Edited:Jun 19 2015 9:17AM