HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV12728
Name:Two Brothers Adit at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine

Summary

Two Brothers Adit is one of three adits forming part of the 19th century Eylesbarrow Tin Mine

Location

Grid Reference:SX 593 682
Map Sheet:SX56NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSheepstor
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSHEEPSTOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56NE/213
  • Old SAM Ref: 34467

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • ADIT (XVIII to XIX - 1751 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Earthwork and linear feature shown on 19th century map.


Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, 1985, Aerial Photograph Project (Interpretation). SDV319854.

Not visible 1946 aerial photographs.


Gerrard, S., 1990-2002, Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset., MPP 157275 (Report - Survey). SDV277946.

Site visited on 9th May 2002 Two Brothers Adit 750 metres west-south-west of Eylesbarrow, forming part of Eylesbarrow Tin Mine. Adit 1.3 metres high and 0.9 metres wide at the entrance which is stone lined and has a lintel. The trench leading downslope from the adit opening is up to 2.7 metres deep by 5 metres wide and is steep sided and grass and heather covered. The adit is still flowing.


Newman , P., 1999, Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine, 10-12, Figures 2-3 (Report - Survey). SDV352201.

Four adits are referred to at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine. These are ‘Deacon’s’, ‘Deep’, ‘Two Brothers’ and ‘Shallow’. In a cash book of 1814-1815 ‘Old Men’s Adit’ and ‘North’ and ‘South’ adits are also mentioned although only the mouth of ‘Shallow’ and ‘Deep’ Adits are depicted on the contemporary maps.
Two Brother's Adit is not mentioned until the 1840s. The mouth of the adit is still open and water from it creates an extensive marshy area on the slopes below. The interior is believed to be unblocked for at least 70 metres and the opening survives to circa 1.5 metres high which leads into a steep-sided channel. A spoil heap to the west of the adit is likely to be material removed via this route.


Newman, P., 1999, Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine, 105-148 (Article in Serial). SDV231130.


Whitbourne, A., 2001, Visit to Eylesbarrow Mine, 2-3 (Article in Serial). SDV231129.

Two Brothers Adit of Eylesbarrow Mine penetrates circa 300 metres into the hill.


English Heritage, 2005, Industrial Survey Information (Report - Survey). SDV346396.


GeoInformation Group Ltd, 2010, 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution) (Aerial Photograph). SDV346026.

Possible entrance to adit shown on aerial photograph.


English Heritage, 2013, Eylesbarrow Tin Mine and associated remains (Schedule Document). SDV231131.

The 19th century Eylesbarrow Tin Mine opened in 1814 and continued until 1852. During this time several companies were formed to run the mine and most failed to make a profit. Eylesbarrow's importance stems from its unrivalled array of 19th century mining remains making it the largest and most informative example of a large scale water powered tin mine in Britain. At least 27 shafts and five adits were cut to reach the tin lodes, seven whim platforms and two water powered engine wheels were built to power the lifting and pumping machinery, a series of tramways were made to carry the ore to six separate stamping mills and, to complete the picture, a smelting house was constructed to smelt the processed tin from the stamping mills. The size of the operation is further emphasised by the large number of ancillary buildings constructed to serve the mine. Amongst these are a count house, dormitory accommodation, blacksmith's shop, powder houses, sample house and various storage buildings.


English Heritage, 2013, Pastscape, 1300505 (Website). SDV352645.

Remains of nineteenth century mine shafts and adits at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine, which was mined from 1814 until 1856. An English Heritage archaeological field survey identified 25 shaftheads of which 16 have names recorded in documentary sources.
There are three adits associated with these shafts. These are, Deep or Deacon's, Two Brothers and Shallow. Two Brother's Adit is not mentioned in documentation until the 1840s when it appears on a section drawing. The mouth of Two Brother's adit is still open, though a copious flow of water issues from within, creating an extremely large marshy area on the slopes below.


Greeves, T., July 1979, Devon Studies Week. Notes for Afternoon Excursion, Thursday, July 12th 1979 (Un-published). SDV230997.

An adit for the 19th century Ailsborough Tin Mine. Known as Two Brothers Adit in 1847.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV230997Un-published: Greeves, T.. July 1979. Devon Studies Week. Notes for Afternoon Excursion, Thursday, July 12th 1979. Digital.
SDV231129Article in Serial: Whitbourne, A.. 2001. Visit to Eylesbarrow Mine. Dartmoor Tin Working Research Group Newsletter. 22. Unknown. 2-3.
SDV231130Article in Serial: Newman, P.. 1999. Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 57. Paperback Volume. 105-148.
SDV231131Schedule Document: English Heritage. 2013. Eylesbarrow Tin Mine and associated remains. The Schedule of Monuments. Website.
SDV277946Report - Survey: Gerrard, S.. 1990-2002. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Mixed Archive Material + Digital. MPP 157275.
SDV319854Interpretation: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1985. Aerial Photograph Project. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England Aerial Photograph P. Cartographic.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV346026Aerial Photograph: GeoInformation Group Ltd. 2010. 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution). 2010 Aerial Photographs. Digital. [Mapped feature: #80624 ]
SDV346396Report - Survey: English Heritage. 2005. Industrial Survey Information. English Heritage. Digital.
SDV352201Report - Survey: Newman , P.. 1999. Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine. English Heritage Survey Report. A4 Spiral Bound. 10-12, Figures 2-3.
SDV352645Website: English Heritage. 2013. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk. Website. 1300505.

Associated Monuments

MDV3330Part of: Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV64661Related to: Deep Adit at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66417Related to: Possible Adit at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV64730Related to: Shallow Adit at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4966 - Survey of Drizzlecombe, Eylesbarrow, Ditsworthy and Hartor
  • EDV6239 - Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine
  • EDV7382 - Condition Survey of the Cramber Tor Training Area

Date Last Edited:Jul 7 2014 10:12AM