HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV128485
Name:Combehayes Farm, Buckerell


Farmstead depicted on 19th century mapping. The farmhouse was originally built in the late 16th or early 17th century but the farmstead may have earlier origins as the home of Walter de la Cumbe, whose name is recorded in 1310.


Grid Reference:ST 118 016
Map Sheet:ST10SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBuckerell
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBUCKERELL

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (Early Medieval to XVII - 1066 AD to 1700 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Loose group of four buildings depicted.

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Coombhayes Farm marked. Comparison with the Tithe Map shows the farmstead to have been considerably rebuilt and enlarged, with several different ranges of farm buildings and a laid out garden in front of the farmhouse.

Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1932, The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two, 610 (Monograph). SDV337894.

Combhayes Farm is recorded as the home of Walter de la Cumbe in 1310.

Alcock, N. W., 1981, Cruck Construction: An Introduction and Catalogue (Report - non-specific). SDV342504.

Possible cruck recorded.

Ordnance Survey, 2020, MasterMap 2020 (Cartographic). SDV363413.

Only a few of the farm buildings depicted on the 1880s-1890s map are still extant.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV337894Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1932. The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two. The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two. IX. A5 Hardback. 610.
SDV342504Report - non-specific: Alcock, N. W.. 1981. Cruck Construction: An Introduction and Catalogue. Council for British Archaeology Research Report. 42. Photocopy.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV363413Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap 2020. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV22053Parent of: Combehayes Farmhouse, Buckerell (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Jun 11 2020 10:26AM